internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

My speedometer was acting crazy maybe a week ago. Then it

Customer Question

My speedometer was acting crazy maybe a week ago. Then it only went up when I was driving 45 mph. Now it's not working at all and my engine light came on yesterday
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: about 157,000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I am on drive my car doesn't move. It's like if I'm on neutral but I'm on drive. If I wait a little it jolts me forward a bit and then I am able to drive it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I took him in and they said my transmission was fine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: im not sure what else to try
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Matt Nissan tech.

What is the year and model? Did you scan the vehicle's trouble code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 Altima
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not sure where that is? How am I able to find the code?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

You go to Autozone and have them scan for free.

You can also buy an OBD2 scanner from amazon.com for about $30 and do it yourself.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Go to your local autozone I'm sure they will teach you how to hook it up. It is very simple.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0500 and P0460
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

P0500 - you have the change the vehicle speed senor

The vehicle speed sensor is installed in the transaxle. It contains a pulse generator which provides a vehicle speed signal to the combination meter. The combination meter then sends a signal to the ECM through CAN communication line.

P0460 is the fuel level sensor. That is located inside the fuel tank.

Please rate me positive, thank you. Let me know if you have further questions.