Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

My Nissan pathfinder he past few days has been a bit jerky

Customer Question

My Nissan pathfinder for t he past few days has been a bit jerky when slowing down, now when I idle it shakes and makes a clicking noise. My engine light has been on for my Cat....wondering if the problem are related.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 139,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, my need to take to a shop...my husband and I are no mechanics
JA: OK! The Nissan Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: I had it tested and it was either my O2 sensors or the Cat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the Oxygen Sensor (O2) is causing the majority of idle problems. The O2 measures the oxygen and fuel content in the exhaust and reports to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM controls the idle and the air to fuel ratio based on reading from the O2(s). The clicking sound is most likely the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) trying to control the engine's idle. If you would like more information let me know the vehicle specifics eg. year and engine size, the first 10 of the VIN would be very helpful, also let me know the specific P code(s) that are set.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm following up on any progress with this repair. I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Thanks.