Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 05 Nissan titan with brake issues. What happens is

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a 05 Nissan titan with brake issues. What happens is randomly the ABS light will come on, then I hear a strange sound, loose my brakes and the pedal goes almost to the floor.
JA: Is there a code associated with the error? Have you checked the ABS fluid?
Customer: I think its a common issue on the 04 05 titan and there have been some lawsuits. But im not sure what the fix is.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, Ive check ABS fluid and there is not error code
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: took it to a shop, they check fluids, error codes, and brake pads. all looked ok.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: yes
JA: What else should I tell the Nissan Mechanic?
Customer: the brakes start working again after you turn the car off then on again
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

hey there, thanks for the question.

I need to know if the ABS light comes on when this happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

because if it's the issue your talking about, thats related to a potential lawsuit that is the delta stroke sensor inside the brake booster and it causes a fault light and a fault code for the sensor in the ABS unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea on how much that would cost to replace?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if it is the delta strok sensor in the booster then its about $750 repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome, if you get the actual code and it DOES NOT indicate the delta stroke sensor let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this have to be replaced at the dealer? Seems like I read something about updating firmware?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

sorry had to reload the page it froze on me.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Well if you get the sinking pedal and vibration and you have the delta stroke sensor code they are going to start by performing the ABS/VDC reprogramming.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Once the programming is complete ($120 for this service) then you would clear all faults and see if you code returns. If the code does not return then your one of the lucky ones and you may not need to do anything else. If it does return then the booster will have to be replaced.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

it's worth going to the dealer in the event that you could get lucky and fix it with a programming.

if it doesn't fix it though, replacing the booster can be done at home if your handy because no programming is required.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if you need anything else let me know, if not be sure to leave a kind rating please so the site credits me for my time.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if you need further help let me know please, if not please be sure you leave me a kind rating. It's the only way the site will credit me for my time.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check back and see how you made out. If you need further assistance let me know please, if not just be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time is all.