Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier. Last time, when I filled the

Customer Question
gas (topped the tank), the...
I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier. Last time, when I filled the gas (topped the tank), the gauge kept on showing as if it had only a quarter tank. Since then, I have driven about 15 miles, but the gauge is still showing the same. Today, service engine soon light came on. I checked the OBD code and it says P0463. What is the issue here and what are the possible fixes?
Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
6/6/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

It sounds like the fuel level sending unit is bad. The fuel pump on your vehicle incorporates a fuel pump and a sending unit in one part. The sending unit measures how much fuel is in the tank and sends that signal to the dash. When the signal from that unit dies then it sets a trouble code p0463. Do plan to repair it yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I can't fix it myself. Is it too easy? If yes, I may.

It would be easy if it didn't require removing the fuel tank. You have to get the tank as empty as possible and then drop it down from the bottom of the vehicle. This is not easy if you don't have the vehicle on a lift.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't do it. The service engine soon light is caused by this code? Or that is a different issue? My next oil change is not due yet. What will need to be replaced and how much will it cost? I just saw online that there was a recall too. Is my vehicle part of that recall?

The service engine light is on to tell you that the p0463 code is set. It's the same issue.

It looks like Nissan issued a recall for it a few years back. Unfortunately it doesn't list mileage coverage. Normally this means that it is covered under unlimited mileage, but you would have to call the dealer to be sure. Here is a copy of the recall. It looks to me like this is the exact issue you are experiencing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will call the dealer to find out. Still, based on your experience, what will need to be replaced and how much will it cost?

The fuel pump assembly will need to be replaced I looked up pricing and it should cost about $700.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is a lot of money. Any other way to fix it?

One time I had a customer that was experiencing the same problem and we added a fuel cleaner to the fuel tank which was able to clean the carbon off of the sending unit and it worked normally ever since. It only worked that one time because the problem was carbon buildup on the contacts. According to the recall the sending unit board looks to be defective on your model rather than just excessive carbon buildup.

I would expect the dealer to cover it under warranty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other than the fuel level not being accurate and thus not knowing the amount of gas in the truck, will this cause any other damage or just stall on the road? I will get it fixed, but trying to see the urgency.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I reset the code, will it come back?

No, the only thing it will cause is maybe making you run out of gas. If you have emissions testing in your area it will make you fail most emissions tests (just because the computer detects a fault- it's not actually polluting more).

If you reset the code it won't make the gauge work again and it will likely trigger the light again right away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Emissions test is not due till November. That is some BS I have to deal with every year. Just fork out the money.What are your suggestions?
1. Try the fuel cleaner?
2. Call the dealer?I already called Nissan and they have asked to get it checked at a dealer. Don't know how much dealer will charge to diagnose. They (Nissan) said that only the dealer will be able to tell if it is covered under warranty.

Exactly, the dealer is the only place to determine whether it falls under that warranty. I would hope that you have an honest dealership on your hands and they would have no problem covering it under warranty. You have the right to take it in and tell them "I'm not going to have it done if it's not covered under the recall". Stress to them that you will not be paying anything so if it's not part of the recall you don't want it done. They should take care of it. I have done that before with dealerships here with my fleet vehicles. We don't want to pay for diagnosis that we could do ourselves, but we do want them to take care of warranty/recall items for us.

I don't think I would try the fuel cleaner, especially since Nissan has already identified a problem with these fuel pumps.

Please don't forget to rate.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician