Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL that won't start. No

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL that won’t start.
No crank no start. Turn the key I’ll hear a humming sound nothing else.
Dash board lights are all on.
Head light are bright.
There a new battery and I took the starter out had Advance Auto test it everything checked out as all good.
I tested and replace fuses still with no results. Theres no starter relay in this Maxima.
I also tried deferent key, making sure it wasn't a key chip issuse.
Its been sitting for about a month now, we need help with this car. Don't have a lot of money.
Thanks for the help.
Tim
Category: Nissan
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I would check the ignition switch next, for power to the starter solenoid.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late reply. So I replace the ignition switch and the starter. I put the starter in today, still no crank no start.Thanks
Tim
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

hey Tim,

This may be caused by the security system. If you have access to a scan tool, now's the time to check it from there. Seeing that you already checked everything else so far.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,
I just want you to know, I seen this on you tube. I use a test light, I ground it and test the battery without the - pose it lite up. I put the pose back on battery to test the wire that connects to the starter the tester did not light up. I tested the battery again with the pose on and it didn't light up. Hope this info can help out to borrow down the problem.
Thanks
Tim
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I'll opt out to see if another expert has seen this.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

New expert here,my name is***** am an ASE master tech.

Sounds like you have a voltage drop problem in the main cable that leads to the starter. Peel back some insulation on this cable, how does it look? any corrosion, It might even be broken causing an open circuit.

Hopefully this helps you out. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan,
I checked - cable is fail up around the post holder. do i need to replace the cable? I'll check back have to go pick up my wife from work.
Thanks
Tim
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tim,

If you are not getting voltage at the starter with the cable connected to the battery, you have a bad connection or you need to replace the cable.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You should have battery voltage at the starter with everything connected.

Please rate the answer it would be greatly appreciated, and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Thanks have a great day! and good luck with your repair.