Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Top on 2010 370Z won't latch up or down. Goes real slow through top openening or closing process and the top light...

Customer Question
Top on 2010 370Z won't...
Top on 2010 370Z won't latch up or down. Goes real slow through top openening or closing process and the top light stays on. Have to have a second person help it. Is this a system we can add fluid too? Other things that can cause this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
6/6/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Generally when the top needs "help" to open or close its simply just the elastic straps that need replaced. Over time they stretch and the top will not complete the final part of the open or close process on it's own.

Here's another issue we commonly see aside form the straps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Will check the link. But the light isn't going off even after you help it. Top takes probably twenty seconds before it even tries to move. When it does it whines for a while before it starts to move at all and then you have to pull up on the tonneau and then pull the back up to get it to move at all and still have to help it through the entire range of motion. You can't get to light to go off either up or down.

Well ideally you want to look at the elastic straps and the other TSB i sent for top alignment issues.

If these check out and the top still ATTEMPTS to open and close then it's almost ALWAYS the 5th bow motor assembly which is over $500 for the part. This is NOT a hydraulic system its an electric motor and top mechanism and the factory copper brushes are prone to causing the motor failures.

if you need further help let me know please, if not please be sure you leave me a kind rating. It's the only way the site will credit me for my time.

I wanted to check back and see how you made out. If you need further assistance let me know please, if not just be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time is all.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician