Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Six months ago started having problems with my 99 maxima the

Customer Question
won't work i did fix...
Six months ago started having problems with my 99 maxima the won't work i did fix it 2 weeks ago by a locksmith and today won't start again
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car turn on but don't start
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just turn it on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: Security light it's on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
5/30/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light ON solid?

If the security light is ON solid, that is a key programming issue. Did the locksmith provide you with a key and programmed it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He just programmed the computer an the key I'm using the same key

Is it a after market key or a factory key? I have seen after market keys not able to hold programming memory. That is why I am asking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After market but i been using this for 2 years

You said he just programmed it. Do you have more than 1 key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No only one i lost the original one

This will require the key to be reprogrammed for it to operate if the security light is ON solid. If your key keeps loosing programming, it could be a bad key or a bad nats antenna which goes around the ignition cylinder.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can be fix

A Mobile Locksmith would need to come to you to re-program the key. If the key can't retain programming, then you could have a bad key or a bad Nats antenna amp. I would make sure that after the key is programmed you attempt to start the car about 6 times on and off to ensure it's works. Other wise, he will not have the equipment to test the Nats Antenna amp. But if you get a second key and that key continues to work, then you have isolated the issue to a bad key. So you may want to get a second key made and programmed to the car as well.

Understand? Any other questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When i turn on the car i need to turn back the switch because the radioand wippers and lights don't work

What do you mean they won't work? If you turn the key to the ON position, the dash warning lights do not come on? Also the radio does not work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No when tbe engine start i turn back key on switch a little otherwise thehead lights an radio don't work

That could be a ignition switch issue if you have to turn back the ignition to get the lights and radio to work.. Which could be why it's loosing key memory.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the best option to replace the switch?

The best option is to buy a complete ignition switch assembly that comes with 2 new keys. Then have them programmed after installing the ignition switch. That would be the best recommendation to replace the ignition. Just save the key you have already and use that to open doors and trunk.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By nissan dealer? Or auto parts?

It would be best to get the ignition switch assembly from the dealer. But you can find them on Ebay as well. I don't think a auto parts store will be able to get you a complete ignition switch assembly with keys.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician