Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano where the tachometer needle has

Customer Question
suddenly jumped ove the peg...
I have a 2005 Nissan Murano where the tachometer needle has suddenly jumped ove the peg and is now pointing at approx. 6:00 when the engine is shut off. When the engine is started, the needle moves up to the peg and stops. Is there a reprogram code that will move the tach back to its correct position?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am hoping to fix myself.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried starting the engine and Erving to about 6000 rpm for 2 or 3 seconds. This did not work. Then I tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes. This did not solve the problem. So, right now I am looking for other things to try.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Nissan Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: It happened when I shut off the engine, had the lift gate up and the lights were still on. I was loading equipment into the back. I discovered the tach needle out of position when I started the engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
5/1/2016
Nissan Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Hi. I have seen this before on the Murano. Sometimes it is a glitch and can be fixed by removing the instrument cluster, then removing the clear lens and actually moving the needle back to its original position.
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician