Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 Nissan Altima hard to start, idles up and down then…

Customer Question
2006 Nissan Altima hard to...
2006 Nissan Altima hard to start, idles up and down then kills dead when put into gear. The codes showed P0030 and P1148 most recently (Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1). Sometimes it runs very smoothly. I changed the O2 sensor (New from AutoZone) pre-converter and it still does the same things. It would not start at all after starting and shutting down about 5 times, then running smooth until I shut it off purposely to try and get it to repeat. Then it would not start at all. I changed the cam sensor from an old motor at the same time when I changed the O2 sensor as a Buddy of mine told me that he felt that I had some other problem with the hard starting. He advised me to check the Cam and Crank sensors as they could possibly cause it not to start. I have not had the factory recall Reprogram done to the car because the Nissan Dealship said that the check engine light must not be on in order for them to install the update and not charge me for correcting the cause of the Check Engine light. As stated, sometimes the car runs perfect, and other times it idles up and down until it quits. I am pretty sure that it is loading up with gas as I can smell it. The last day that I drove the car, it would intermittently choke down at full speed and I was able to make it where I was going by "patting" the accelerator until it responded and accelerated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/1/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer
HelloThis could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faultyAir leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them. This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaksits also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Thanks for the reply. It got lost in my emails this morning. How can I check the fuel pressure? The car will not start on the 1st try frequently. I have suspected a lack of fuel before but didn't know how to track. Until this latest issue, once the car started (after spinning it over 2-4 times) it ran just fine with no misses or coughing. The ramp up and down and shutdown is a new symptom. These cars are not equipped with a fuel filter and I do not know where a regulator would be or look like. I will attempt to follow your other instructions regarding air leaks, but I have reassembled the intake on this car several times for various reasons and all gaskets seem intact. A leaking hose is a possibility, but I have not heard any air leaking sounds as you stated. Please advise on the fuel pressure question.