Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Quest: I have a 2005 Nissan quest 4 speed automatic I

Customer Question
Hello I have a 2005...
Hello I have a 2005 Nissan quest 4 speed automatic I have no spark, fuel, blinkers indicators work on the out side but nothing on the dash check engine does not come on when you insert the key or turn the key to the on position or run engine will crank all day but not fire at all the security light stays on all the time even when cranking I had a mechanic come by and see it he said ECU is bad but still throwing codes just no check engine light he told me I could swap the ECU but would need programming my other question is I have a friend who wreck a same year quest and wants to sell me his ECU with the ignition switch immobilizer and keys he said with all of that I would not need reprogramming would that work I am lost in all of this and I really need my van back to move my kids to school and programs please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
4/11/2016
Nissan Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Before replacing an ecu check and make sure there is no wiring or connections at fault with damage or corrosion on the engine or any fuse panel connections uncluding any under dash wiring or connection faults here.If any issues are found they will need to be repaired to correct this issue here.This will cause the faults you see here.If you replace the ecu with a used one it will need to be programmed by a dealer or authorized repair center in order to work in your model properly. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank-you for the fast response I have check wires and fuses had a mechanic come by he also check all the wire harness and found only one wire lose from the tps that's one of the codes that came up so I know that needs repair but that's something I can fix my self today but my question is if I replace the ucu from the other wrecked car with the key and ignition switch and immobilizer from that same wrecked car will that make my van turn on and work I can have the door locks replace to work with the new key if need to reprogram for the rest to work I can do that but first I need the van to run so I can take it to Nissan and have them reprogram the ECU tow trucks are very expensive in my area thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I am making things confusing please let me know
I havent tried all of these used components myself to see if swapped out if the will work without any programming.Usually some programming is needed even with used components to the computers see the correct VIN match to operate the vehicle properly from there.You can try it but if it doesnt start you will need to have it programmed unfortunately. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I have the opinion from someone else
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if changing the ecu wont work unless I take it to get reprogram then will installing a remote start bypass work I am at the end of the rope here I really need some help is their anybody else that can help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i want to try and bypass the immobilizer with a remote start bypass will that work
No problem.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, Jake here. If you replace the ECU with the immobilizer/ignition assembly it still won't start because the BCM has to verify the registration. So you would have to add the BCM from the other quest to the equation for it to even attempt to work.
also the remote start bypass will not work unless unless it replicates an RFID, so it will only replicate an RFID that won't be accepted. So thats not gonna work until you get the registration issues fixed.
would it not be easier for you to just have the ECU from the other quest installed, then have a mobile locksmith come out and register the key for you?
Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But what about the immobilizer will that need to be reprogram as well or just the computer when my mechanic took a look at it he said that the immobilizer could also be at fault is that possible
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also where would the Bcm be located at ?
The immobiliser is not at fault if you have no check engine light when turning the key to ON. The BCM is in the center upper dash area on the quest.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea I have no check engine and no blinkers but I do have the security light on when I turn the key to the ACC ,ON ,RUN positions it does not disappear even when cranking it will just stay lit that's why my mechanic said it was the ECU and may be the immobilizer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also got a very strange code for p0603
assuming no fuses to the ECU are blown then it does sound like an ECU failure. The self check operation comes from the ECU.
The P0603 code is generally one you see for backup power issue on the ECM. Meaning the back up memory fuse is blown or the ECU is bad.
You can pretty much guarantee if the fuses are good and you have power to the ECM that its bad with that code and the symptoms.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the ECU from the other wrecked quest is different in part number will that work for mine his is a xa I believe and mine is a hc will that work or does it have to be the same I have found some on eBay with everything price is really over the roof so I would have to wait a few weeks but they have the exact same letters and part numbers exep for like the very last 3 but other wise the same but it does not state year of the van does that make a difference
The part# ***** ***** INSIDE the ECM and can change when updates are made. You view it with a scan tool. Looking at the outside of the ECM is not really helpful when getting a used one. Those are pretty much serial numbers and lot identifications. if its the same year model, then its same engine and same transmission and should work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so I am going to give it a try by swapping the ECU by it self and have a locksmith come by and do the programming should I tell the locksmith that I swap the ECU or should I just tell him to just program the key to the van thanks so much for the help I think I got it all clear I am still trying to understand all of this sorry if I ask a to much questions I will be rating you I have a couple of questions more but can't recall them right now I will send them as soon as I remember them thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I remember when the locksmith is programming is he going to write my key code to the PCM or is he going to write the PCM code to my key and the other systems like the Bcm and immobilizer I have never had a car reprogram so I don't know the procedure thanks
He is going to register your key to the ECM
Please don't forget to leave me a kind rating. If you need more help later just ask, follow up on the same question is always free. thanks.
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician