Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Nissan Maxima: I have a 2008 Nissa Maxima SL. The steering

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Nissa...
I have a 2008 Nissa Maxima SL. The steering wheel switches for the radio and Bluetooth stopped working. Cruise works but then shuts off. The horn works. Had new Nissan switches put in. Did not fix. What gives does it need to reprogrammed. Keith
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
4/11/2016
Nissan Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It will take some electrical testing to know exactly what is going on but there is a good chance you have a bad clockspring. The clockspring is under the steering wheel at the top of the column and is what makes electrical contact between the wheel and column yet allows the steering wheel to turn.When a clockspring breaks it can affect any combination of the items on the steering wheel including the radio controls, cruise, airbag and horn. The fact that you're also having cruise issues makes it more likely to be a broken clockspring.One easy thing you can try first is seeing if any fault codes are setting. If cruise isn't working or is shutting off when not intended then there is almost surely a code set. If there is a code for the switch circuit and the switch is new then the circuit issue is most likely in the clockspring.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I am told if the horn works, it's not the clock spring. So frustrated.
That's not the case at all. A broken clockspring can affect any combination of the circuits running through it, it may be affect one component or all.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well 275.00 for this damn how nmjch is a clock spring?
At a dealer it runs $180 and it calls for .8 hour labor to replace.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician