Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1997 Nissan Sentra 1.6 and my speedometer stopped

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Nissan Sentra 1.6 and my speedometer stopped working. I replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor and it didn't fix the cause. Could the cluster itself be the issue?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: My engine light also came on with code P0500 for the speed sensor
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
hey there, which sensor did you replace? what did it look like? The revolution sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the sensor in the back of transmission, the VSS and it has a gear on it was a plug connector at the top
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
k, that's the right sensor then. Did the P0500 go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code went away for 2 days and came back with same code. Does it have 2 sensors on that year because I only seen 1?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
depends on the transmissions some had a revolution sensor and a VSS that were different. one looked like a crank sensor and the other has a gear on it. the gear one is the speed sensor that was relevent here.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
The speed sensor signal reports to the combination meter (gauge cluster) and the ECM and TCM recieve their speed sensor readings from there. So double check the new sensor put in and the wiring harness before replacing the cluster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be the one I replaced, the one with the gear on it. after I recheck the new sensor and the wiring and they are checked ok, should In then assume that it's the cluster?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
yea, if the sensor and wiring check out, then check for power at the yellow wire on the cluster with the key to ON. if it's there, then replace the cluster
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, I will recheck both the speed sensor and wiring to see if all is good then check the yellow wire for power.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
sounds good, if you need anything else let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, at this point this is the only problem that I'm having.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
excellent, if you don't need anything else just be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time. If you run into a snag reply to this same question instead of creating a new one since follow up is free.