Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Palmer. I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima. Ive recently left my

Customer Question

Palmer . I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima . Ive recently left my headlights on and my battery went dead. After jumping the car , the motor would stop running within 2 or 3 minutes, with no response from windows, ac, rear taillights and accessories. I contacted a shop and was told it was my alternator. I replaced the alternator and the will start and run fine without going dead but the electronics are still failing : radio, taillights, sunroof, power windows. The headlights as well as the turn signals both work . I cannot figure out this issue. Is there a main relay that would run these electronic components ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima . Ive recently left my headlights on and my battery went dead. After jumping the car , the motor would stop running within 2 or 3 minutes, with no response from windows, ac, rear taillights and accessories. I contacted a shop and was told it was my alternator. I replaced the alternator and the will start and run fine without going dead but the electronics are still failing : radio, taillights, sunroof, power windows. The headlights as well as the turn signals both work . I cannot figure out this issue. Is there a main relay that would run these electronic components ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really hope that we can figure this issue out together. Ive already sunk $550.00
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Test light to check fuses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a test light to check fuses . I could pull them to check . What would be the fuses to check? Is there a Main electrical Relay ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

For this much of a electrical issue, I would check them all with a test light. Using a test light with this type issue would not only check fuses, but it will tell you if the fuse is getting power.

Do you think you can get a test light to check the fuses? That is the first step for your issue.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to try to get ahold of a fuse checker. I did find a blown ENG CONT 10 fuse . I placed a 10 from the hazard lights and nothing happened
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is good. But we need to check the fuses under the hood and inside the car with a test light to verify that all fuses are getting power as a starting point.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can keep this question open till you get fuses and check all fuses with a test light and get back with me with the results.

ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok . thanks . I've even read that it could do with my gaugr or ignition switch . the car makes a funny noise when engaging the clutch as well , when started in park . seems to drive ok but haven't ridden more than 3 miles
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

With all the things not working, this could be a fuse or a control unit issue. But let me know how you make out after checking all fuses inside the car and under the hood with a test light and replace any blown fuses. But you also want to recheck those fuses that you replace that were blown to see if they blow again or not.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting to get ahold of a fuse current tester . The car seems to be running good , its just the failing electronics . I've also tried switched around the relays under the dash and nothing changed . Currently the Power Windows , Power seats , radio , sunroof , AC/ Heater , Door locks and windshield wipers are not working . Do you know of a relay under the hood for those accessories
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also rear running lights but the turn signals work and when I apply the brakes , the lights work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rpm gauge is not working and the cluster does not light up . Turn signals show up on cluster as well as when brake is applied .
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

For everything you are describing will require some testing. Some may be related to other things, but somethings may be multiple issues.

Lets work on getting a test light to check fuses and after that, we may need a volt meter to do more advanced testing.