Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Another Nissan xterra issue. I'm getting the following codes

Customer Question
Another Nissan xterra issue....
Another Nissan xterra issue. I'm getting the following codes P0300 and P0328 (I believe). I don't have the print out with me right now. Anyhow the second code is for the knock sensor. I've replaced a lot of parts and been to three mechanics. The last mechanic said I need to replace the knock sensor which I'm extremely reluctant to do since the first two said that the knock sensor isn't creating the problem. The problem is intermittent and what I experience while driving is a loss in power, followed by a flashing check engine light. The interesting thing is if I can get my rpm's above 3200 the vehicle will not misfire and everything runs fine. I've been told one bank is running rich and the other lean. I"ve changed the following: upper O2 sensors, timing belt, spark plugs and wires, distributor, cleaned mas, air intake hose, fuel filter.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depending on the complexity, yes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: It's a 2001 Nissan xterra V6.
JA: Our top Nissan Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Nissan Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Nissan Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Customer: I'm not 100% sure if it's an SE or XE
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
3/20/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What year Xterra is this?

Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 1 year ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i can help

ok sorry jay can help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2001 V6
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
XE

Do you know what brand Spark Plugs you have installed in the truck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NGK laser platinum

Thank you that is good.

Does the truck constantly run ruff?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it is intermittent. I have noticed that it almost always misfires when I begin going up inclined roadways, but it also happens when it is parked and idling. It is really hard to pin point a specific situation though.
Sometimes I'll be idling and the timing looks great, then it starts misfiring and the idle increases.

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind right away if it's not the spark plugs for a P0300 code is a Distributor. These distributor are fairly common to cause misfire issues and when the Distributor starts to go, it normally does throw a P0300 type code or sometimes a P1320 code. When ever you have a misfire that also always sets a P0325 knock sensor code. So you would need to first resolve the misfire code by replacing the distributor then clear codes and see if the knock sensor code returns.

When it comes to electrical parts, like the distributor. I always recommend you get them from the dealer. When it comes to after market electrical parts, they never work right. Plus they don't last. So that is why I recommend getting the part from the dealer.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm guessing you missed my initial email where I mentioned that I replaced the distributor? and timing belt?

LOL.. Your right.. I did not see that.

It was a little unclear. But I see it. The only other thing based on that information I can see causing this is a broken up Catt Converter. The Catt converter is restricting exhaust flow which can cause the Misfire issue and can keep the Rpms from going above the 3200 Rpms..

Where if lets say one of the Catt converters is clogged up restricting exhaust flow, it can certainly cause a imbalance in the fuel trim readings.

So I would have the exhaust dropped and have that checked as that could very well be your issue.

Any more questions on this?

Do you have any more questions on this?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician