Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder. And it will crank but won't

Customer Question
turn over. We have replaced...
I have a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder. And it will crank but won't turn over. We have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and the distributor, no luck
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have tried to star the vehicle but it just cranks and won't fire. We had checked the plugs, wires, fuel filter and thought it might be the crank shaft position sensor but have been unsuccessful
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
3/20/2016
Nissan Mechanic: I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

The first thing you need to find out is what are you missing ,is it spark or fuel at the engine ?

Pull the coil wire off the cap and crank the engine to see if it sparks when getting it clos to ground.

Pull a wire off a spark plug and crank the engine to see if there is spark on it when getting close to ground.

Disconnect the fuel line off the filter and tap the starter to see if fuel come out of the filter.

Does the engine turn at same speed as before or is it turning faster now ?

Sorry for all the questions but I do need it to give you a better answer.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is spark and fuel going to the engine, but it still won't start. We have replaced the distributor thinking it was the crank shaft sensor, but it still won't start.

what about the timing belt ?

How many miles on the vehicle ? it is possible that the timing has jumped .

Remove the distributor cap and crank the engine to see if the rotor turns.

Let me know.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will see if that works and let you know :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, the fuel is getting to the engine but the injectors wont open to let the fuel in

Are you sure you are getting spark ?

Can you spray some intake or carburetor cleaner into the throttle body to see if the engine starts?

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When we spray it in throttle body it will start, as soon as it burns the fluid it dies

Ok ,so you missing injector pulse.

Check all the fuses in the engine bay and inside the vehicle .

When you turn your key ON ,is the security light ON or blinking ?

Let me know.

Thank you.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician