Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2002 nissan sentra se-r specv starts but idles around

Customer Question

My 2002 nissan sentra se-r specv starts but idles around 1500. With the gas pedal to the floor it will Rev to 2000 rpm. Throttle body is new and the relearn procedure has been done. Any ideas? Drove fine in the morning and went to leave work and it's like this.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if you have fault codes, or an idle that high the relearn generally won't be accepted so the adaptations will not be met.

with the idle that high and a new throttle you might need to find the air leak before going any further. Smoking the intake is the easiest way to go, but seal the throttle opening first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air leaks. Already checked also checked for broken wires
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

does your 02 have the electronic throttle?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

nevermind i pulled it up, yours is the 2.5 which had the electronic throttle. The 1.8 still had the cable driven this year model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does...
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

With these electronic throttles there is not alot of things that will cause high idle. It's usually the Throttle body itself (when the idle is high and fluctuating up and down) or the APP sensor (pedal). When the idle is high but more steady then it's usually because of an air leak close to the throttle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no response when the pedal is pushed. Or maybe it goes up 500 rpms when the pedal is pushed to the floor
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

sounds like the pedal position sensor. Do you have a code for it?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

it would be an APP code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can scan it tomorrow. I don't have access to the car right now.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

yea, if you have an app sensor code replace the gas pedal its electronic. should have a sweeping voltage increase when depressed. They are relatively cheap around $50.

as far as getting the relearn to take, if you have disconnect an injector or 2 to get the idle down then you can temporarily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the signal wire at the pedal and it varies voltage as it should. 0.4v to 4.8v
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if the pedal voltage is in spec and your getting no response, then the signals at the throttle need checked to see if the ECM is interpreting the signals from the pedal to the throttle.