Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I accidentially closed the window, I just told you in the…

Customer Question
I accidentially closed the...

I accidentially closed the window

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I just told you in the other window..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I'm an ase master tech, i should hope so

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?

P0301, 0302, 0303, 0305, 0306, 0125, plugs are good.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
3/7/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

what year and model Nissan is this?

You have a bunch of misfire codes? What brand spark plugs do you have installed?

99 quest, denso tt platnum, brand new.

Thank you. These Vans or actually Nissan's engines only like NGK Platinum Plugs. Any other brand plug can cause misfire issues and running issues.

So the first thing you will need to do is see if you can exchange those plugs for NGK's. Then clear all the codes and see if your issue continues.

Can you do that? I can keep this question open till you can, so you can return back with the results.

Let me know.

I very seriously doubt ngks will fix it, i'm curious if there is a common problem that would cause misfires like this, 1 tooth off ont he timing belt? clogged injectors? low fuel pressure?

Trust me when I say, these engines are very sensitive to the brand spark plugs used. If you still have a issue after installing NGK's, then I would look to the distributor.

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/33690ab3fcba41998618ad656ff47ebb

That link is a Question where I helped a guy with a 99 Maxima. He had Autolite plugs and was chasing a misfire issue as well. Putting NGK's in resolved his issue.

Would you like me to keep this question open till you can change the plugs? That is really your first step.

Let me know..

Distributor is new, I'm wondering about a compression problem or a vacuum leak. 5 out of 6 misfiring? I'd condemn the plugs if they were bosch, but not denso.

Denso's are what they use in the newer engines. These older ones still like NGKs'

If you got the distributor after market, that could also make it act up.

There is no real compression issues on these engines. When was the last time it had a timing belt done?

Good question, I have only worked on it recently, no crank cam correlation codes, so I assume it's in time. I'm curious about clogged injectors

These injectors never clog up, unless diesel fuel was added by mistake or something.

The factory ngks had the same problem, there has to be something else going on. PCM issue?

The cam sensor is built into the distributor. That is the primary signal. The Crank sensor on these vans is only a reference. The Crank Sensor never goes. The Distributors are common to have issues after market, and do tend to go over time when they are OEM.

The bushings/ bearings are good, no play in the shaft, I'm about stumped on this one

knowing these cars the way I do, if this was brought into our dealer, the first thing I would do is change the plugs to NGK's. These engines are that sensitive.

You do have a code for a engine coolant temp sensor. So that would need to be checked and replaced as needed.

I mistyped, its a p0325, knock sensor. I've never had a prob using densos

Oh.. That code you get with misfire codes. Plus they do tend to go.

Denso's may work in other models, but Older Nissan's, the engines were designed to use NGK's

I know we are going back and forth about the plugs. But I have been a Nissan Tech for 23 years. I have worked on these cars almost every day. From my experience, I would start with plugs. I have seen to many times any other brand spark plugs cause misfires. With all the newer models, starting around 2008 on some models, Nissan switched to Denso's.

Fair enough, but why am i not getting a 304 with the plugs? The knock sensor was fine, i suspect it was getting that code because of the misfires.

When you have a misfire issue, it creates a knock sensor code cause the knock sensor is detecting vibration from the misfire.

As for why you are not getting a cylinder number 4 misfire. You are getting a misfire for almost everything else. I can't explain why the computer isn't setting that code.

Before you changed the spark plugs, did you have all of these misfire codes? What brand plugs did you remove?