Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. We had tighten the battery on the…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. We had tighten the battery on the xterra. By doing this the alarm system will not allow us to restart the car. We do not have the book and the dealer is closed

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

We can not turn off the security system to start the car.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
3/6/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the alarm going off? If so, which lights are flashing exactly?

The is not going off its not allowing us to start the car we need to know how to disable the security system so we can start the car. We talk to one mechanic and he said because we removed the battery the security system shut the car down

If it's the factory security system, use the mechanical key to lock and unlock the truck.

When you lock it with the key, watch the security light. See if it turns solid for 10 to 20 seconds and then blinks. If it does, then use the key to unlock the door once it starts to blink and that would verify that the factory alarm is disabled.

Give that a try and let me know..

The light is flashing in side the truck so we know the alarm is keeping the car from starting

The factory security light is suppose to blink. Follow the steps like I stated and let me know if the alarm is working as I stated.

It didn't work know it says VDC off

When you have the Key in the ON position that is known as bulb check, so you will see all warning lights on.

When you have the truck off, and all doors closed and you lock the truck with the key, the security light does not turn solid?

The light is still flashing after we are inside the truck and followed all steps doors locked ect..
A mechanic was here and check the battery it has a full charge. It's the security system

Not inside the truck, use the mechanical key while outside the truck and lock it and check the security light.

Are you hearing any type of relay clicking on and off ?

If you are hearing a relay clicking, and there is no lights flashing, then you have a after market alarm. It is not factory.

How handy are you?

My husband is very handy

What he will need to do is look under the drivers side dash area for the After Market Alarm Control Unit. Once located, unplug it's one main connector. Here is a image of what it should look like, and which plug needs to be unplugged.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/After%20market%20Alarm%20control%20unit%20unplugged.jpg

We have looked every were there is no after market alarm. We are following the steps over and over its not working and even the mechanic could not figure it out.

What year Xterra is this?

2006

The security light that you see blinking, is it in the meter area and looks like a car with a key in it?

it is

That light is not turning solid when you have all doors closed and you lock the car with the key? Solid for only 10 to 20 seconds..

it turned solid and we then unlocked the car and it started to flash again

That is normal for it to do that. I was looking for it to turn solid, cause that means using the key is arming and disarming the security system, so the factory security system is not your issue.

Does the engine turn over and not start?

Well I'll have to have it towed to a shop the radio and everything is working it just won't start. Very strange it's not the alarm.

Does the engine turn over and not start? or does nothing happen when you turn the key?

Is the security light ON solid when the key is in the ON position? or is it off?

This would tell me if it's the immobilizer system ( this is the chip in the Key for the truck to start ).

The engine doesn't turn over and the alarm light is solid

If the security light is solid when the key is in the ON position in the ignition means there is a key programming issue. How ever, the engine should turn over but not start.

Do you have another key you can try?

No the dealer has the other

Why does the dealer have the other key?

Because we are paying payments. They only gave us one key. I'll have to call them when they open tomorrow
The key looks fine we opened it and the inside looks new

It sounds like this key is not programmed to the truck, where the one the dealer has maybe.

Is this truck in the dealer parking lot?

It's been working for the last month. We can't mess with it anymore I have kids who need to eat and go to school tomorrow I'll have to worry with it tomorrow

Well I would get the other key from the dealer. This is a key issue where it can't read the chip in the key if the security light is ON solid when the key is turned to the ON position.

You can try this to see if it will come out of lock mode, but if not, then we will need to get the other key from the dealer to see if that key works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Lock%20Mode%201.jpg