Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

04 Nissan Altima 2.5S cranks but will not start - PO335

Customer Question
Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit...
04 Nissan Altima 2.5S cranks but will not start - PO335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction is the only DTC code scanner received. Tested all circuits and they are good... I am at a loss because the vehicle starts with the sensor removed and it will run smooth for abot 10 to 20 seconds and then gets rough dropping RPM's and stalls out. Acceleration does not help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
3/6/2016
Nissan Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. Did you replace the sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with New updated OEM NISSAN Part.

Ok. And you performed the testing of all the associated wiring? Did you use the wiring diagnostic procedure outlined by Nissan?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all wiring circuits tested good and I habe purchased 2 oem sensors from dealership and one from autozone and one from O'Reily's. I tried all one at a time installed in the car and get a crank but no start condition. However with the sensor removed and completely unplugged from the harness the car will start but after a few seconds it will stall out.

If you need it, I can provide you the entire diagnostic procedure for this code. If you have access to a camera, you should check the condition of the signal plate on the crank shaft. If there's damage to the plate this problem will occur as well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already have that information with images and everything is all good there as well. Timming has been verified good no blown head gasket compression is good on all 4 cylinders etc..Everything checks out good except this sensor malfunction..

Ok. If you confirmed that there is not a wiring problem, did you use a small camera to check the condition of the signal plate?

Just to make sure, check the procedure I am attaching and make sure that you followed every step and didn't miss anything.

P0335 DIAGNOSTICS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the signal plate condition is also good.

OK. so you have followed that entire procedure and everything checked out good? every step?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not view your PO335 diagnostics it is not a valid pdf file and will not let me open to view the contents. I already did complete diagnostics on crank sensor, connector, harness and wiring, signal plate condition, starter and starting system circuit as well as battery and voltage along with all fuses, all relays and check spark, fuel and timming. Did not find any vacuum leaks either.

vacuum leak isn't indicated here. Try clicking the link again. I just tried it and it worked. There may be something in there that your procedure didn't cover

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir, and I am at a loss on what to do now because I don't understand why the vehicle starts with no crank sensor installed at all and with it completly detached from the connector as well
This completely defies logic to me..

we had an 02 altima that was driven in to us. wouldn't go over 20 mph. kept giving the same code. after quite a bit of diagnostics we found that the signal plate was totally missing. the owner had "rebuilt" the engine and got a ground crank and didn't transfer the signal plate over. So, it will run without the signal. Not well but it will run

I can't imagine how every step of the diagnostic tree checks out perfect but still the problem persists. Something has to be missing.

I will open this up for the other techs. Hopefully one of them will have some better insight.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not quite sure what to do with that information. I have owned the vehicle for over 5 years now and no major work has been done to my car. It has been a good car. It has been serviced regularly and diagnostics was performed back in May 2015 with no issues reported. Other than this PO335 code that popped up when my SES light came on back in late October 2015.

The point of that information was to make you aware that the car will still run even with a loss of signal

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed the crank and cam sensors out at the same time back in October and the car ran fine for about 2 weeks and I started having intermittent starting issues with same DTC code then it got to where it cranks but wont start at all so here we are sitting with same stand alone code.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my namr is Jay and thank you for your question

On your old crank sensor, where the electrical connector goes, do you see oil in there? Also when you changed the Crank sensor, did you make sure the connector lock snapped all the way up when you plugged it in?

Do you still require help with this issue?

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician