Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Here! My 2005 Nissan Xterra heat/ac goes off and on when I…

Customer Question
Here! My 2005 Nissan...

Here! My 2005 Nissan Xterra heat/ac goes off and on when I wiggle the wires under the passenger dash. What needs to be replaced?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It works fine, heat and cool. Sometimes just stops blowing completely. But when I push the wires back and forth underneath the passenger – where I believe the blower motor resistor is it can cut back on, sometimes stay on sometimes not

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
3/5/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

First, go to the 2 wires under the dash on that side that go to the blower. There is just a 2 wire connector there. Wiggle those 2 and see if they will make the blower kick on and off. If it's just those 2, then chances are good it's in the connector at the blower. Sometimes you can just push the wires in and it will resolve the issue. They just aren't tight on the plug. These are bigger wires and a larger plug, so they might wiggle loose. If there isn't any change, then go to the resistor. It's mounted more towards the back and is 4 wires. Make sure they are tight. If they are, then it's likely the resistor itself.

Please let me know what more I can do to help you out here.

It's def the two wires in the front because I can push on them and it immediately kicks on sometimes I can wiggle it and get it to stay on other times it won't. what do I have to replace?

Ok, you probably don't have to replace anything unless the plug on the blower side is broken. What I would do here is unplug it, then take a very small screwdriver and see if you can sort of pinch the wires inside the connector a bit tighter. That way when you plug it back in it should make better contact on the blower and solve the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician