Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2003 Maxima. I am not sure if it is going into OD. I…

Customer Question
Have a 2003 Maxima....
Have a 2003 Maxima. I am not sure if it is going into OD. I can count 5 shifts, and at 60 mph the RPMs are 2050 and at 70 mph the RPMs are 2450. This is my wife's car and haven't driven it for sometime. Do the RPMs sound normal?
Thanks Jay,
Bill
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
3/2/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hey Bill, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Off the top of my head, these older 4 speeds have kind of drifted away from my memory and been replaced by CVT's and 7 speed transmission..lol..

What I would suggest to determine if OD is operating is get up to 60 mph and press the OD button. If it's off, the Rpm's will raise. I when you turn it back on the Rpms drop back down. But if I recall properly, I think it should be around the 2k rpm mark at around 60.

Do you have any more questions on this?