Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 maxima and I went into a gas station and came…

Customer Question
Yes I have a...

Yes I have a 2000 maxima and I went into a gas station and came back outside now it won't start it tries to turn over but won't I have sprayed start fluid in the intake

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/1/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid?

That is a indication that the car can not read the chip in your key. Can you check your key to see if the chip fell out?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Chip%20Key%20Missing%20Chip.jpg

That is where it's located in the key.

Let me know

Ok i got it started by jumping it off from a big maintenance truck drove it home it died again bought a new battery and installed and now it will do nothing

Doing nothing ? No electrical power through the car? does the head lights work?

it has power but no sound from the starter

Do you know if you have a after market alarm?

No it doesnt

Do you get a signal click when you try to start it?

The chime when you have the key in? No it doesn't

Do you have a volt meter? How handy are you?

Pretty handy....no volt meter...do you think it's a security issue?

Well I would like to check to see if the starter is getting power first. That would at least give me direction.

We can check the factory security system though.

Using the mechanical key. I would like you to make sure all doors and hood is closed and then lock the car with the key. The security light should turn solid for about 10 to 20 seconds then start to blink.

Then unlock the door and open it. Then return and let me know if the alarm works the way I described?

I'm sorry Jay a tornado kinda came through where I am from....ok i tried the security test it did what you said ....is the security light supposed to blink all the time ? It does even when the key is in the ignition
Also I tried to start the car and now all I get is a humming sound that sounds like it's coming from the left side of the car

Well, I am glad you are ok... wow

As for your security system, the factory security system is working as designed. So no issue with that.

Can you tell if the humming is coming from the ABS actuator?

Abs acuator?

Yes. ..also do you know if you have any codes?

Codes? I looked at the fuse for the abs acuator and it looks fine I'm alone here so I can't really tell

Do you know if the battery is weak again?

That buzzing could drain the battery

Ok i just bought a new battery this morning and it hasn't been connected in the car I had to replace the serpentine belt a few days ago ...the battery is brand new

Well the buzzing sounds like a bad abs actuator. The engine not turning over we would need to chexk to see if the starter is getting power when the key is in the crank position.

Do you have a test light or a volt meter?