Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** t I have an 04 xterra I lost the key…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** t I have an 04 xterra I lost the key then broke the back up off inside the ignition i changed out the ignition yesterday and the starter probably 4 months ago now when i go to start it i get nothing.. no click no stutters nothing at all???? what do i do??

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Thats really it but i took the starter out last night and had it tested they said it was fine,, and there is power coming to the stereo and dash. I have even checked all the fusses with a tester

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/29/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, does all the dash warning lights come on?

hi Jay and yes all the lights come on stereo has power. but the engine crank is dead

Well, we are going to need to do some checks to see what is going on.

First where did you get this ignition switch you installed?

I got the ignition switch from O'reilly's auto parts store in bakersfield ca.
please respond asap i am trying to get this car running now, it is a crucial part of my everyday life, sorry I took so long to reply but my son had a dr.'s appt this afternoon and i had to take him.. I will be much more prompt with my replys

The switch sounds like it may be wrong if you got it from a auto parts store. Which would explain your issue.

Do you have the old switch?

I do still have the old switch which has the key broken off inside it

This was a complete ignition?

with keys and everything?

all the plugs lined up and plugged in correctly .. yes keys and everything

Oh the back part of the ignition cylinder assembly, there is two screws that keeps the electrical part of the switch to the ignition. Please remove that from the old ignition cylinder and unplug the new one and plug the old one back in. Then take a screw driver to turn the plastic part of the switch and see if the engine turns over and starts.

ok the car is at a different location in which I have no internet access the next step will take me about an hour maybe longer to reply with any kind of answer but i know exactly what you are wanting and i will let you know the verdict as soon as possible...

You got it. I will be online tomorrow as well.

Just make sure that if the factory electrical part of the switch works, insert that into that new after market one. If it doesn't insert, that just verified that you got the wrong switch. Keep the key in the ignition with it in the on position if you are going to drive it. This way the steering wheel won't lock on you when driving.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Thanks Jay!

Ok jay it did the same exact thing when I turned the key as when I turned the slot on the back of the electrical part of the ignition... Absolutely nothing,, I also rechecked all the wires and connections with each plug there were no lose wires and all the connections appear to be put together properly... I really have no clue what it could be,,, is there some kind of anti theft mobilizer that needs to be reset or bypassed ???? Please help and I almost forgot the driver door lock has no key either so that won't be an easy fix either.. I will probably have to rekey that as well or order a key from Nissan ,,, ok well I'll be awaiting to hear from you and thanks a lot for all your help

Ok then. Well, it looks like we are going start to get into it then.

Can you let me know when you are by the vehicle to do some checks? Also make sure you have a Volt Meter and Test light and I guess some basic tools. Screw drivers 10 mm socket and ratchet.

jay its going to take me a a few to get over there once again... sorry and thanks for your patience and yet I am the one trying to be impatient... anyways i will get over there with tools and internet access as soon as posibile

You got it.

jay are you around or anyone else that might be able to help me figure out this 2004 Nissan xterra

I am here..

I forget, the dash warning lights, they all come on when you turn the key ON?

Ok good yes all dash warning lights are on with key

ok then.. Let me get you the starter wiring diagram so we can try to trace out what is going on.

Hang on.

v6 auto trans right?

auto
v6

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1b.pdf

That is the wiring diagram. Please start by checking the start signal fuse and see if that fuse is getting power when the key is turned to the Crank Position.

Then lets check power at the gray plug at the starter to see if you have power when the key is turned to the crank position.

ok?

Ok I'll be back asap on it now

Take your time. I will be here all night

I checked the fuses and it sure looks like one of the 80 amp fuses the box under the hood is blown I am going to go get new one and I'll let you know

Ok. Let me know

Jay ... ok i am back well.. kind of.. I checked all the fuses and replaced 1 at least and actually more like 3 but i am pretty sure all fuses are in working order ,, so then I went down to the starter ,, in which I took it out the day before yesterday and took it into auto zone where they tested it on their machine and it passed.. I took it back and put it back in my xterra and here we are again, so tonight i took a screwdriver down the to jump the starter, and it went... bzzzzzzz... {very difficult to type a sound). the starter spun but i couldn't tell if it kicked out into the cranking position or not.. I know it did not make the engine do anything more then before.. so we are back at step zero... I have no idea whats next...please tell me

First off, the bench test you can never trust. Of course a starter or a Alternator will pass a bench test. There is no load on it it!

All I need you to do is check to see if the gray plug to the starter is getting power when the key is turned to the crank position.

jay i checked the grey plug and no there is no power to that point.. I also ran a wire (homemade) from the battery to the starter and it tried to turn the engine over finally we got some action,, so there is someting from the battery to the starter impeding its power... its also out of gas which i am going to get now.. but what is it between the baterry and the starter??

If you have no power to the starter from the gray connector, we need to check the PNP Relay. Also, do you know if you have a after market alarm or remote start in the truck? They tap into this circuit to keep the starter from starting.

Let me know

Need to see if Pin 2, Pin 5 is getting power at that relay

I don't think there is an aftermarket alarm but the key is not chipped.. let me look at the other things and i'll let you know

Ok

Ok in the fuse box under the hood is where there are two relays that I checked out one is the n&p clutch interlock it has power to pins 2&5 then another one the anti theft h/lock relay has power to only one pin
The number 1 pin
Jay you around??? Let me know what's next

I am out right now. I should be home in a few hours. Can we continue then?

Yeah no problem just looking for next step whenever you can get to it is just fine

If you remove the relay and jump pins 5 and 3 does the truck start?

Which relay the anti theft or the pnp

PnP

No I jumped 3& 5 and still dead when I turn it over

Really? Pin 5 had power?

I think so i will have to double check now ... you are making me second guess but better to make sure... but i am pretty sure what i have told you thus far is all true...and still a dead car

You had a blown fusible link didn't you?

What's a fuse able link?!? I'm not sure?? But I did not change anything bigger then 20 amp I switched a couple of matching fuses around just to make sure but most all fuses were good

Is the truck dead with no electrical power?

No just the starting system dash lights are on headlights blinkers all working

Lets double check pin 5 for power at the PNP relay. To see where pin 5 is, when you remove the relay, if you look inside where the electrical pins are on the relay, you will see numbers that show the pin layout.

Pin 5 should have power when the key is turned to the Crank Position.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician