Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car is not starting and it has MIL light, battery light,

Customer Question
My car is not...

My car is not starting and it has MIL light, battery light, engine oil pressure warning light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I went for 10 day vacation adn car was unning ok. Its nissan rogue 2011. now my car is not starting even i put a booster battery to jump it. It doesn't look like it is battery problem.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/26/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin what actually happens when the key is turned to start position?

Hi, it tries to start ...and i went on pressing for 10 seconds but it did not start. It feels like it has almost started. I used the battery booster also and it got a little discharged while trying to start the car.
Is there a way we can chat?

I dont have specific info on your model to guide with this type of fault il opt out another tech will assist

okay thanks.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you know if you have Remote start? What is the car doing when you try to start it?

I do not have remote start - I think you mean if I can start my car remotely without getting into the car.It tries to start ...and i went on pressing for 10 seconds but it did not start. It feels like it has almost started. I used the battery booster also and it got a little discharged while trying to start the car.

The engine is turning over but not starting? Is that what it is doing?

It doesn't look like it is the battery (although I am no expert) since the light insides are bright and i just left it for 10 days in an underground garage.

Try stepping on the Accelerator all the way and turn the engine over. If it starts to catch, then slowly back off the accelerator pedal and see if it starts.

I think it's just flooded.

Since i usualy hit breaks to start the ignition.So hit accelerator and break together?

yes

ok i will be back in 10 mins.

ok

I started with accelerator and first time it started and then stopped in 1 sec. Later it coudn't start with accelarator also. I tried 4 time after the first starting of the car.
what do you mean by "it's flooded"?

When you press the accelerator all the way, it kills injector pulse so no fuel can go into the engine. So if it's flooded, holding the pedal all the way will help dry out the cylinders. But if it attempts to start, you want to let off the accelerator pedal so it can get fuel

Those warning lights are normal when the ignition is on. That is called bulb check

Should I try again? Would it kill my battery or anything else if I try many times?

I would try one more time. It almost started that last time right?

it almost fully started and then died down in 1 sec.

That pretty much verifies that it is flooded. Go try again..

Since you have push button start, what I want you to do to keep the engine turning is to press and hold the start button down for around 10 seconds, unless it starts of course. When you hold the start button down, the starter will stay engaged longer.

I don't have push button start but turning the key start.It started again for few secs and died down.I also saw there was some oil/gas coming out from exhaust.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid?

no security light is off. Security light is blinking when the key is turned OFF.
Do you think gas (oil) coming out of exhaust is OK?

That is most likely just condensation coming out.

When it starts, are you still holding down the accelerator pedal? or are you releasing it as it starts?

i released it once it starts.

Try releasing it as it starts, not once it starts.

it looks more like water than oil/gas.
ok will be back in 10/15 mins.

And try only stepping on the pedal a little and see if starts?

Did you get the car started? I have not heard back from you

Hey Jay. Sorry i was cooking and dinner earlier.I tried 3 times and it didn't start like before it started for few seconds.

Did you get gas recently before this happened?

Do you recall if you had a Service Engine Soon light on last when the car was running?

I got gas 5-6 days ago before i left for vacation. so I did drive after getting gas for about 50kms.I did see service engine soon light early lasy year but it went away by itself. I do look at lights frequenlty and I did not have any lights before i left for vacation.

How handy are you? I am starting to think the throttle plate maybe stuck or you have a bad throttle chamber.

Let me know..

I do not think I am any good when it comes to car....I dont even change my own oil :)

Based on what it sounds like, there is a electronic throttle chamber issue. This is something you would need to have checked and verified if you are unable to do the checks your self.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!