Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan/Datsun D21 Hardbody Pickup: fixing tensioner position…

Customer Question
hi. I remove the cylinder...

hi. I remove the cylinder head on my truck. notice the cam sprocket pin is at the bottom how can I fix this?? I tried to put it back but chain is to short, probably the tensioner came off. how to fix this with out having to remove front cover. is the truck at TDC? cylinder one is on the top timing mark is in 0, only the pin was at the bottom.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/26/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. .The fact that the pin is facing down is not a problem, the crankshaft turns 2 times for each one turn of the cam. It is just on the compression stroke as opposed to the exhaust stroke. The problem is that the tensioner has come out, which is why the chain is too short now..The actual procedure for replacing the head or head gasket is to remove the front cover. I can't say that I have always done that myself though. Sometimes, you can take a long prybar with an angle at the end and push the tensioner back in to get the cam sprocket back on but you have to be careful of the guide that is right above the tensioner, please see diagram that is attached to the post..Otherwise you will have to take the timing cover off. Thanks.Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****
Did you get it?
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks
Super mechanic
Super mechanic