Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 06 is having trouble getting started. Will turn over and

Customer Question

My 06 is having trouble getting started. Will turn over and over again and after 20 or 30 seconds it fires up. After that it starts up fine until it sits for awhile then does it again. Help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you get the car started, does it run ruff for a few seconds then smooth out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, once it starts up it runs fine.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok..

How handy are you? I have something I would like you to do to see if we can verify something.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very handy, what do I need to do?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is my thoughts and I hope that I am wrong.

I think you have a head gasket issue and what is happening is coolant seeps into the cylinder as it is cooling down which is making it hard to start after it has been sitting. So what I simply wanted you to try is when you can allow the car to sit over night, like maybe tomorrow night. Drain the coolant system. Then the next day, see if it starts right back up. If it starts right up with the coolant drained, that verifies a head gasket issue causing the hard start when cold.

Do you think you can do that?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!