Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My daughter has a 2002 Xterra and has the Code P0731 which

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2002 Xterra and has the Code P0731 which we know is a gear shift ratio problem. How is this problem fixed? Does it require a new transmission or could it be something simple to fix it?
Hoping for the simple answer. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Paula
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to give you "the simple answer". However, that is not necessarily a bad trans. More likely one of the shift solenoids, (or valves) is not working. There are some tests that can be done to determine if that is the case.

.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks