Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Well I have 2 error codes p0325 which is a knock sensor

Customer Question
Well I have 2...

Well I have 2 error codes p0325 which is a knock sensor circuit malfunction(bank 1) and a p1441 is my main concern vacuum cut valve bypass valve

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 2?

2001 nissian Altima gxe

Mechanic's Assistant: Nice car. The Nissan Mechanic can help you with your '01 2 . Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I have check engine light on and had code pulled by auto zone

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I have not run diagnostics just found out yesterday and its been raining all day

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Nissan Mechanic now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/25/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

The P1441 code means the fuel evaporative emission system is sensing a small leak. First thing to try is replacing the fuel cap and making sure it's seal surface is clean. Then you need to either clear the code or drive it for a few days to see if it goes away. If you still have the leak you will need to get the fuel system 'smoke' tested, this injects a harmless smoke into the system and will detect the leak. On an older car like that there are about 15 parts that could be leaking so guessing is not viable.

ok so if i replace gas cap how do i rest cel

You need to use a scanner to reset it. Autozone will likely do it for you. If you don't reset it and the leak is fixed it should turn off the light in about 3-5 days of driving. (However the code will still be in there up to a month).

What are the chances of it being a purge valve

Very unlikely because the valve will cause a large leak if it's stuck open. The 1441 code means a very small leak, usually a seal or hose leaking. Some of the Altimas also had pin holes rust in the fuel fill tube, but I don't think yours is one of the ones effected by that.

Ted G.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician