Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** and im having a problem with my 2002…

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** ***** and im having a problem with my 2002 nissan frontier

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sure the truck was cranking over took awhile for it to start then the service engine soon light came on it shook alittle bit then died and now theres nothing when you try to turn it over

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/24/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

So the engine does not turn over any more? or it turns over and does not try to start?

the engine will not crank anymore turn the key foward and then there is nothing. it is not seized the serice engine soon light came on just before it died and now nothing at all

Do you have a test light or volt meter to see if the starter is getting power when the key is turned?

i just had a brand new starter put in just before this started happening

If it's a after market starter, it wouldn't surprise me that it has failed. But we can verify that if you have a test light or volt meter. Do you have one to check to see if the starter is getting power?

i have a voltmeter what sould it read on the starter

You want to unplug the gray plug that is the trigger wire going to the starer. On the harness side, when the key is turned to the Crank Position, you should see battery voltage.

Let me know what you find. You will need someone to help you by turning the key for you while you check for voltage.

where is the starter located

It should be located on the passenger side of the truck along the transmission bell housing area

ok found it tested it and there is power to the starter

If you have battery voltage on the gray plug when the key is turned to the Crank Position, that is a indication of a bad starter.

It is very common for after market alternator and starters not to work properly. The quality of after market parts are horrible. You would need to replace the starter and I would suggest getting it from the dealer.

Do you have any more questions on this?

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician