Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Nissan Frontier. when it is cold the engine…

Customer Question
I have a 2010 Nissan...
I have a 2010 Nissan Frontier. when it is cold the engine will turn over but not start. if I use a jump box or jump the truck with my car it will start. I have had it in the shop and my mechanic cant find the problem. I have had it at the dealer and same issue they cannot find a problem.
I have replaced the battery twice in the last 5 months. what are the chances I am getting a bad battery from the auto parts store.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

you may get 1 bad battery but not 2

so I'd say check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer