Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** i have a 2004 nissan maxima i keep…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have a 2004 nissan maxima i keep getting the code p0507

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I cleaned my throtle body and my car just revs up and down

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/18/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Did you have this problem prior to cleaning the throttle body?

Not that problem it keep giving me p1800 and p0507 put the vias on and the p1800 went away
i cant take the p0507 off even when i reset the light withe key and gas pedal

Ok, I would get a code reader to clear the codes. Using the gas pedal can be tricky.

It sounds to me like the first thing to try is doing a idle relearn. This has to be done any time the battery is disconnected or the throttle body is disconnected. I will give you the manual procedure to do this. You need to read through it and make sure that you follow the procedure to the letter and use a watch or clock with a second hand. The timing has to be perfect or the relearn won't work. Please try this first and let me know.

Nissan Relearn
1 Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".
A Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
B Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
C Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
D Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
E Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
2 Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
B Turn ignition switches 'ON'.
Note Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
3 Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4 Turn ignition switches ‘OFF’ and waits at least 10 seconds.
5 Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.
6 Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
A Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
B Fully releases the accelerator pedal.
7 Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
8 Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
9 Start engine and let it idle.
10 Wait 20 seconds.
11 Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Yea i already did that sir and my light came back on

Ok, if the engine is still surging after doing the relearn, then you need to try to locate the reason. The code is a result.

You may have a vacuum leak or even a bad mass air flow sensor causing the idle to surge. Take some carb cleaner and with the engine running spray it around the intake and see if the idle speed increases or smooths out. If it does, then you know you have a leak. If not, then I would try unplugging the mass air flow and then start the car and see if it idles better. If it does, could be an indication it's the problem.

Finally, make sure the negative battery cable didn't break down where it connects to the transmission and body. It's a known issue with these and it can cause damage to the computer. If that happens the relearn won't take.

Ok ill try that later ill let u know wat happens thanks

You are very welcome.

Hey sir i changed my mass air flow senor mnd i have no leak and still hae the same problem

Ok, try disconnecting the battery for one hour, then reconnect the battery and do the idle relearn procedure on the car and please check the negative battery cable.

Also, can I assume there was a difference in the idle when you unplugged the maf sensor?

Yea there was a difference it was not pass 40 miles. When i would accelerate.

lol, we are checking your idle, not how fast the car will go. It will not accelerate without the maf plugged in. The computer turns off the fuel injection when it doesn't see a signal. You can't rev the engine past about 2700 rpms. The test was to simply see if the idle smoothed out is all.

Please re run the test and see if the idle surges less.

Do you need more help with this?

Not today sir thanks

Has the issue been resolved?

No sir not yet Im trying to relearn the idle