Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 03 murano had an issue where the wiper linkage popped…

Customer Question
My 03 murano had...

My 03 murano had an issue where the wiper linkage popped off. Replaced the linkage and now the wiper goes from the up position down

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It's like it should be rotating the opposite direction

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
When I put the wipers on they go down instead of up. If I had the wipers in the up position they would work but always be in my line of sight.
2/18/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

It sounds like the wiper arms were installed in the incorrect time of wiper operation.

Pop the 14 mm nuts off for the wiper arms so the arms are loose. Then cycle the wipers on and off. Once the cycle is completely off, then set your wiper arm position and tighten. Then recheck it's operation.

Let me know how you make out.

Did that and they wiped straight down and pulled off all the moulding under the windshield. It should be going up first no?

Did you get a whole assembly with wiper linkage and motor?

No motor. Had to take the motor off the old and put the linkage back on.
Sorry... I took the linkage off, took the motor off and attached it onto the new linkage

If you remove the wiper arms, and cycle the wipers. That should cycle the wiper pivots and park them in the proper position for the wiper arms to be re-installed.

Where did you buy this linkage?

Ya that's what I did assembled everything put didn't put the arms on turned the wipers on and stood back proud of the work I did then realized arms rotated counter clockwise instead of clockwise.

Where did you buy this linkage?

Bought it at fat guys auto. It's a dorman not oem

The only thing I can think of is that the linkage you got is incorrect and the wiper motor is facing the wrong direction. That is the only way it would swipe the wrong direction.

I would get the linkage from the dealer so you know you are getting the correct linkage. After installing, do not put the wiper arms on. Turn the key ON and cycle the wipers on and off. Once the pivots have stopped, then put the wiper arms on and lock them down. Then recheck the operation.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Hmmm... I guess I'll google what it should look like
Maybe the motor is on backwards

If the motor is not mounted the same direction, that is why it is swiping the wrong direction

I would remove it and lay it next to the original one and see if it looks the same. You want to look at the motor mounting area.

Do you have any more questions on this?