Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Nissan altima and if I accelerate my car past…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2003...
Hi I have a 2003 Nissan altima and if I accelerate my car past 2000 or so rpms that seems to activate the Rev limitor,so I checked the oil and it was low added a quart , afterwards it drove fine, what experience have you had with this and is it oil related or do I have a different problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/16/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Is the check engine light on when the car is running?

Yes

Ok,

It sounds like the car has a bad mass air flow sensor. This will cut the fuel supply at about 2500 rpms when it fails. This might be the code that you have stored causing the check engine light.

It is also possible you have a plugged up catalytic converter, this will sometimes act like a bad mass air flow sensor. I would start by having the codes checked. Most of the larger parts stores will read the codes for you for free. If it comes back with a code for neither of these it's ok. Sometimes the mass air flow sensor will fail and not store a code. If you get the codes read and want to post them here with me that would be fine as well. This has nothing to do with the oil level to be honest.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

I changed the pre cat also changed the mass air flow sensor,I drove The car for about an hour and the same the same thing happens,I have dtc po650,p1456 and had a friend with the same problem he went to the dealership and they said it was covered under a recall but, he cannot tell me what they did

Was the pre cat broken up inside?

No

Why replace it then?

Honestly I am not sure what recall you are talking about that you think would resolve this issue.

The codes shouldn't cause this type of running issue. It sounds like the converter may have broken up and plugged up the converter in the front pipe, or that you didn't use a Nissan maf sensor from the dealer, but an aftermarket one. I have seen these not work most of the time. It leads to the situation not changing and looking for some other issue. You might consider pulling the front O2 sensor out of the front converter and see if the car runs any better. If it does then there is a blockage in the exhaust system causing the problem. When the O2 sensor is out, this gives the exhaust a place to go.

let me know.

I thought it may have been clogged any other suggestions

Yes, try a factory maf sensor and I would still try the removing the front O2 sensor. It is possible the converter in the front pipe is plugged up on you. unless you replaced both of the converters.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician