Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan 2000 Altima goes into reverse and drive and 1 and 2…

Customer Question
Nissan 2000 Altima goes...

Nissan 2000 Altima goes into reverse and drive and 1 and 2 but car just rev's neighbor thinks it's a flex plate issue. but new trans and lucus still no movement there is a tin - y sound to the rev

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Nissan 2000 Altima goes into reverse and drive and 1 and 2 but car just rev's neighbor thinks it's a flex plate issue. but new trans and lucus still no movement there is a tin - y sound to the revcar starts fine and idols well ...drained some fluid there were specks of metal very smallRead more: http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/1qx6j-car-will-not-move-when-shift-gear.html#ixzz40HQIXyRD

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is this a Used Transmission you installed? It does not have 3rd or 4th? There is a noise it is making when in forward gears?

it is the original tran w/ vehicle... there is a slight tin-ny sound when in any gear but vehicle does not move did put new trans oil after draining about 3 quarts and 1/2 quart of lucus trans fix. sorry about the first post that sounded like I replaced the trans just replaced trans fluid

How many miles are on the car and what type of trans fluid did you use?

Any ideas? total trans ??--- Flex plate ??--- is there a view hole to get a look at the flex plate?

I am not there to hear what you are hearing. So I am trying to get info from you.

Did this do the noise after the service? or before?

Is this a stick?

I was assuming this was a Automatic Trans, but you shared a link for a Manual Transmission question.

So let me know...

Automatic... Same noise before and after fluid change fluid was from Nissan dealer

The question you shared the link for is for a Manual transmission so please disregard any info in that question as it does not pertain to your issue.

Do you think you can take a video clip of the noise it's making so I can hear it?

Noise is very faint doubt you'd hear It! Like vibrating thin metal! Car shift easily between gears with no decreeable difference even revving engine

Did you replace a starter or anything before this started to happen? Did this noise start to happen out of the blue?

No starter change... Noise started when transmission quit working

Then it could be due to a internal failure in the transmission causing this noise. If it has internal failure that would keep it from operating properly. This would best be checked by a trans shop. They would perform a pressure test and also listen to the noise to determine if it's internal of the trans. The fly wheel won't cause the transmission to work in reverse, but have poor or no forward gears. That sounds like the front clutch let go.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Not sure what you mean . "The fly wheel won't cause the transmission to work in reverse, but have poor or no forward gears. That sounds like the front clutch let go. ". There is no forward or reverse.., every gear is as if the transmission is in neutral... Is there a clutch on an automatic transmission

Automatic transmissions have what they call Clutch Packs. It a bunch of clutch disc's to help to make friction for internal components to turn. So you have a Forward Clutch pack, and Reverse Clutch pack. So you can have reverse, and no forward, or vise versa.

The Noise you are hearing I can't see being a flywheel noise if your transmission is having shifting issues. It sounds like something in the transmission has broken and that is what is making the noise.

Understand?