Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 93 Nissan maxima will randomly start sputtering really…

Customer Question
My 93 Nissan maxima will...
My 93 Nissan maxima will randomly start sputtering really bad and it feels like its running on 4 cylinders. Sometimes it will just start running normal again after a few minutes without doing anything to fix it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/15/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs did you install?

I think they were NGK, also the car didn't act any differently between the old set and the new set.

Please be sure they were NGK's for me, Non-Platinum.

I'll go check now.

ok

I do believe they are NGK platniums

These engines are very sensitive to the spark plugs used. This engine does not call for a Platinum plug, but do require NGK spark plugs.

Once the correct plugs are installed, and if you have no change, then you could be looking at a distributor issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

anything ngk that's not platinum will be fine? There was one other thing that I would imagine could have some part in my misfire problem. when looking at the vacuum line diagrams for my car it shows there's a part called a vacuum box/tank, which I'm not too familiar with and my car doesn't appear to have one of these. I'm going to head to a parts store here soon to pickup some spark plugs.

Yes, Nissan's are very sensitive the spark plugs used. If this engine calls for NGK's that are not Platinum, That is what you need to use.

I don't recall these older Maxima's having a vacuum box with all the vacuum lines. That sounds like a Honda thing.

The car does in fact have a diagram under the hood showing the vacuum tank as well as an empty bracket attached to the drivers side strut tower where it should be. Also im not being billed for every step of this conversation correct?

No you are not being billed for every step of this question.

Lets just take it one thing at a time.

ok sounds good. thank you for your time so far. I'm going to head to the parts store.

ok