Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2002 Maxima and my airbag light came on. I did the

Customer Question

My name is Sandi, I have a 2002 Maxima and my airbag light came on. I did the flash diagnostics and got one long flash followed by 8 shorter ones, then it repeats. Recently, I had the motor in my sunroof replaced. Could that in some way have caused this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just that about 2 days after I had the sunroof motor replaced, my airbag light came on and started blinking. I went online to check out why and found the way to diagnose the issue. Followed those instructions and got the blink pattern 1 long, 8 short.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Self diag can only do so much. The 1 long flash and 8 shorter flashes means the system is malfunctioning, and will require a scanner to check the system. That is what that means.

As for the sunroof motor, I can't see that playing any factor in the air bag light.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I was just wondering if it might be an electrical problem. I will have my mechanic check it out.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you try the self diag a second time to see if it would clear the light?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you perform the Self Diag steps 2 times, that is how the air bag light is cleared. Just to see if it clears.

I have seen weak batteries cause false air bag codes. If the ignition was left on while he was working on the car and drained the battery a bit, maybe that caused the light.

Lets just see if doing the self diag steps 2 times clears the light.

Can you try that for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I will try that. Do you mean the one where I turn the ignition to the on position until the light flashes, then turn it off 3X?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No, the door switch steps to put it into self diag. Do that 2 times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't work with my car.... I have to do the ignition procedure to get it in/out of self diag. I tried the door switch, no go.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

i thought this year had the door switch.. If you do the ignition self diag 2 times then, did that clear the light?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?