Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 maxima seems fine when cold, but once it warms up it…

Customer Question
My 2006 maxima seems fine...
My 2006 maxima seems fine when cold, but once it warms up it instantly slips, seems like in neutral no matter where the stick is set. 5 speed Automatic. Valve body replaced last night, still doing it. You can roll to a stop and just sits there whether in drive or reverse. Ideas? Trans oil initially was pretty dark. Tiny little bit of fine metallic dust was in oil... So little as to be inconsequential. I can only think of one more option... Transmission speed sensor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/13/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

this transmission should at least move in a forward gear and reverse even if the speed sensor is at fault

are there any codes set ?

I forgot to add... Often if you turn it off and put in park, wait 30 seconds then start again, it will grab power to the wheels again. If you do it immediately without waiting, often wont grab. I turned off vss, no dice. No odor or weird sounds when it happens. Literally acts like in neutral though still says D or R. Manual shifting same thing. Valve body from level 10, full rebuilt with different solenoids. I did the valve body myself so please include instructions on any recommended repair of any kind. if parts such as trans filter or screen, please tell or link to how to replace and how to test first. Very welcome would be troubleshooting procedures.

are there any codes set in the TCM or the ECM ?

Zero. Have odb2 bluetooth adapter, shows no code. I did unplug speed sensor and got code just to verify codes were working, lol. Also speedo still works so likely not. By the way, Isn't there a diagnostic mode to put ecu into by doing some weird combo of pedals/buttons etc, like a trans self-test? Found one for 4 speed, but not this trans.
Wait.
I only did the standard odb2... Is there another port?

when there is NO movement in any gear will full fluid and a new valve c=body complete this issue comes down to a bad TCM or an internal failure of the input drum or a one way clutch acting up when warmed up a bit

with no codes try a new TCM if it still does this the transmission needs to come out and apart for internal inspection or just install a used one complete would be alot cheaper

no just one port

OK I assume tcm = transmission control module. Where is that?Also I have read some saying could be junk sucked up into screen filter, then when off it settles back down out of screen only to be sucked up again after running for a few. What is likelyhood of that and would a flush be a good idea?When cold you can even stomp gas with zero slip by the way forgot to mention. When it starts to go it is within 10 second. Tach creeps up faster and faster then no grab at all and you roll to a stop.
That's the problem... What pan do I pull? I only know of valve body cover. The trans otherwise has no option that I see but to crack open sideways. Did I miss it when I had the valve body cover off? I didn't see much in there...
Also... Is there any repair manual you recommend? I remember buying them years ago for older cars, detailed instructions on how to do many things.

does this transmission have a bottom pan on it ?

from my information it does not which means it uses a strainer instead of a filter and the odds of that being plugged are slim to none

No. Put together sideways. It's the one in this pic: https://www.google.com/search?q=2006+maxima+transmission&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimnbDal_XKAhVF1R4KHd-NCKsQ_AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=2006+maxima+5+speed+transmission&imgrc=V1QVFqmP-H8SsM%3A
There looks like some sort of access plate on the side through wheel well, but looks beefy and may go into inside of trans, not really any sort of pan of anything

ok this has the strainer in it

try a flush if that does not work try a TCM if it still does this rebuild or replace the transmission

OK. Can I still come back to this question for several days?

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

OK great... Just to confirm, how do I get to the strainer?

it is inside the transmission and does not need to be changed

OK gotcha. Thanks for your help. Do you think a Nissan diagnostic would be best next step? Or flush then tcm swap?
on that answer I'll go ahead and rate you. Thanks for your help! I may have a few follow-ups, but likely nowhere near as long as this.

no problem

Sorry I meant upon the answer of the question of the best next step... To simply go to Nissan for diagnostic or should I flush then change tcm if flush doesn't help?

you could have Nissan JUST diagnose the problem which the odds are it is an internal transmission failure and then decide to have them fix it our you fix it v/s what they find

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer

how are you making out ?