Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2004 g35 infinity a couple of days ago and…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 2004 g35 infinity a couple of days ago and the check engine light came on. What should I check? Thanks! ***** ***** Alderman

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Can I reset by unhooking battery cable? Car has 102000 miles on it. Thanks!

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/12/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If the Service Engine Soon light is coming on, there could be a number of things that can cause that. There is over 200 possible codes. So what you will need to do is have the car scanned to determine what code you have so the proper steps can be taken to resolve the fault.

Do you have a Auto Zone near you? They offer FREE scans as long as you don't live in California. If you can have them scan the car for you and return back with the code, I will help give you direction on what will need to be done to resolve the fault code.

I can keep this question open till you can have this done. Do you think you can do that?

I can,but first I think I will check gas cap as dealer did fill it up before I took delivery. I will clean seal on gas cap and tube where cap seals to neck. I had a Toyota and done that with adding a little vaseline to seal and unhooked neg. batter cable for a little while and that done the trick. Thanks anyway. I know I can have mech. to do diagnostic check,but thought you could tell me a few things to check as you are a Nissan mech. Thanks anyway! Ashley
I thought you would tell me a few things to check and try. Don't think I should have to pay $20.00 if that's all the info I'm going to get. Ashley Alderman

If the service light has come on, and you have cleared it before by disconnecting the battery, and it has come back, we need to see what codes you have. So it's not a intermittent problem. It is a hard code.

So first thing we need to do is see what code you have. Then if there are things to check I will tell you.