Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can you tell me where the valet switch is?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What do you mean Valet switch? There is no valet switch for a 2003 Xterra. What is the truck doing?

I lost my thob and had to break in. I have the key to start it but security system won't let me start it. They say there is a switch to reset the system

If you have a Valet switch, it's for a After Market Alarm. All after market alarms are different so there is no way I can explain since it's not factory. But if the alarm is the issue, I can tell you how to disable it.

How handy are you?

It is a factory system....I'm pretty handy

Is the alarm going off?

No. I caught it in gear to get it home and hasn't went off since

I am not following? When you are trying to start the truck, when you turn the key to the ON position, all the dash warning lights come on as they should correct? When you attempt to start it, does the engine turn over and not start? or does it not turn over?

Are any lights starting to flash when you try to start the truck?

Everything is on. Won't turn over at all.
No lights flashing

Do you have a security light on your truck?

Yeah. The factory one. Its off
I had this problem before. Had to buy a new thob for 300. Don't wanna do that again. Just wanna reset the security system or disablenit

If your truck has the factory security system, step out of the truck and close the door. Lock the truck with the mechanical key and let me know if the security light turns solid for about 10 to 20 seconds then starts to flash?

No it does nothing.
The light is not on at all

Does the dome light come on when you open the drivers door? Does it work with all the doors?

Try locking and unlocking the truck on the passenger side. Please...

I am trying to see if the factory alarm is working properly. Normally using the mechanical key in any of the doors or hatch would turn off the factory alarm system.

Yeah I've tried all of that. I believe it was tampered with in some way to where it doesn't work anymore

Do you have a test light to check fuses?

No key on passenger side. And the one on the hatch don't work
No

Next step is to check fuses. When checking fuses, it's best to check them with a test light. This way you can determine if a fuse is blown and all of the fuse are getting power.

Fuses are fine I'm positive. It I had a thob all's I would have to do is press unlock and it would start no problem. I just need a way around that. No way to totally disable the alarm system?

This is the security light you are checking correct?

No you can't disable the factory security system. It is integrated into the car to much and can not be disabled.

So I have been going through some of the factory functions to see how the security system is working.

The link I provided is has a image of the security light. I would like to be sure this is the light you have been checking. If you have a different alarm light, let me know.

Ok. Yes that's the light. Any way of reseting the system. Tried key in doors and unplugging battery
The light I'm looking at says security. Its normally blinking or doing something. Its not doing anything. Its located left of steering wheel

When all doors and hood is closed, when you lock the car with the mechanical key, the security light should turn solid for about 10 to 20 seconds then start to blink. If the light is not doing anything, there is either a fuse blown, or something is wrong with the smart entrance control unit

This is a V6 right?

Yeah v6 5 speed

Nice.. I love the sticks. Please check these fuses for me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.jpg

Sent me the link to data link conector is that what you want to check

No, if you click that link, it has images of the inside fuse box and the one under the hood with all the fuse locations for the security system. I would like you to simply just check all 6 of these fuses

Yeah we checked. They are so good to go

Then the next step is to check the input signals using a scanner. See it's status and if there is any codes.

I can provide you with the complete diagnostics and wiring diagram for the security system if you would like to look at it

Ok. On a different note. Can I get a fob from a 2000 xterra programmed to my 2003?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/2.pdf

If the security system is not operating properly it may not allow a remote to be programmed to the truck. A 2000 is a different remote than the 2003 so it will not work.

That is the complete keyless entry and security system info from the factory service manual for you if you would like to review it for your issue as well.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician