Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a exhaust link on my 2003 Nissan Xterra. it is on the…

Customer Question
I have a exhaust link...
I have a exhaust link on my 2003 Nissan Xterra. it is on the back end of the Catalytic Converter. There is a gasket and a half mounting braket then the rest of the exhaust pipe. I put on a new gasket and tight down the bolts. I still have the link. I thought maybe there is suppose to be two gaskets, but I looked at the manual and it only shows 1.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/12/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

At the back of the converters should be little pressure on the system. Have you checked to see if the muffler is restricted causing back pressure after the converters?

There is only one gasket there. My suggestion is to split the pipe back open, knock out or drill out the studs if it has not been swapped over to nuts and bolts already. Then block sand it with 40 or 60 grit paper to get both flanges back flat and take the war out of it. Then go back with stainless steel nuts and bolts and a new gasket.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

It would be fine if the two pipes would be back to back, but there is a lower u shape mounting Bracket that mounts to the back of the transmission, So the bottom is sealed, but it cause a very small gap in the top where the leak is.

Is the leak between the gasket and pipe flange or between the bracket and flange?

Is the exhaust bent or damaged anywhere?

the gasket and the pipe flange on the top

Its most likely warped and will need to either be replaced, bent back flat, or sanded to be flat.

ok I will try to sand it down

Thanks for letting me help you.

Chris Does the gasket go before or after the mounting bracket. So what I'm asking is you have the Catalytic Converter then the gasket, then the mounting bracket then the other flange with pipe

The gasket goes against the converter flange, below is a link to images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/exhaust.pdf

I know that but you have 2 flanges. but you have a mounting bracket inbetween them. That is why I have a gap. The mounting bracket is only a half bracket that is a 180 on the bottom
my truck is 12 years old the exhaust system as never been changed out. Do you think it's that time

If you feel the exhaust system needs to be replaced you could do that if you feel you have done everything possible to fix this leak that can be done.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris

Sorry I'm on a road business trip fla than ga . No I'm pleased. First time I'm able to check my email. I think I will need to just replace the whole system. I fix one section and then find another section with problems

Thanks for the update. I reached out to you because you had not rated the post yet. If there is nothing else you need from me, can you rate the response so I get credit for helping.