Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 03 xterra and it was having trouble starting this…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an 03...
Hi, I have an 03 xterra and it was having trouble starting this winter. And it won't start at all now. The battery was fully charged she we took it out to test it. The starter also tested fine when we took it out. The battery cables look fine. And I've tried to start it in neutral while jumping it so I don't think it's a problem with the ignition switch. The knock sensor has been bad for a couple years but I was told that it wasn't really worth replacing. Could that lead to it not starting now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/11/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you know if you have any codes?

no, i had it towed to my house and it wont start so i cant take it to get the codes.

Do you recall a service engine soon light on when it was last running?

the service engine light has been on for quite a while, when it first came on the only code that showed up was the knock sensor. about a year later that was still the only thing that came up when they tested it at autozone.

The knock sensor won't cause the service engine soon light to come on. So there is another fault code stored that is causing the light to come on.

Do you know if your local auto part store rents code readers?

i'm not sure. i didn't even know you could rent them. Do you have any suggestions without knowing the codes?

I would need to know what codes you have stored to give you possibilities. Codes will help point and give me proper direction that I will share with you. If there is no codes stored that would cause the no start issue, that would give me other directions.

So the first thing we need to do is to see if we can get the codes. I can keep this question open till you can get that for me.

Will that work for you?

well the only reason I paid for your help was because i don't have the codes. Once i have the codes i can figure out whats wrong without paying someone 20 dollars to tell me. this has been super frustrating

I am sorry you are frustrated, but I am afraid that even with my many years of experience, I would still need to know if you have a code stored that could cause the no start issue. If you have lets say the knock sensor code and a Evap code, both those codes would not keep the truck from starting. But if there is a Cam Sensor code, then that for sure will keep it from starting.

I have some basic things we can try if you like? such as check for spark.

Let me know..

Thanks but I would rather close the question.

No problem. I will close this question then.

Have a good day.

Thanks Jay!