Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I own a 2006 Nissan Murano with a stock bose system. One

Customer Question
day, all noise from my...
I own a 2006 Nissan Murano with a stock bose system. One day, all noise from my speakers stopped (all of the speakers) Radio still switches stations and volume level goes up, but no sound. when the radio is playing the bose amp is warm to the touch. So i figured the amp may still be good. Just wondering what steps i should take to get a diagnostic.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
2/10/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you put a CD in the radio, does the CD player has sound?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

It is very common for the radio to internally fail and cause this.

Some times if you bang on the side of the radio, you maybe able to get the sound to return or come on for a second or so. If you can do that, then you know the issue is the radio.

Give that a try and let me know what happens..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried, no luck. I've had no sound for about 3 months and I live on a pretty rough road. Ive never heard the sound even partially come back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, i have pretty decent knowledge in stereo systems. Ive installed plenty of decks in prior vehicles. I have just never stuck with stock radio and have never had a bose. but I'm pretty confident in knowing locations of most of the parts

There is a external amp, but that most of the time doesn't fail. Normally when there is no sound it comes from a internal issue in the radio.

I can supply you with the wiring diagram if you would like to double check this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have skimmed over the wiring of the amp located right behind the rear passenger seat. Is that the external amp?

Yes, the Bose amp is on the Passenger side behind the back seat. Yes that is a external amp.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. i did skim over the wiring on that. But the diagram could be helpful if you want to send it over.If all checks clear for the wiring on the amp. How do i get to the wiring behind the radio?

Let me get you the wiring diagram and I will supply the component layout as well. Then I will get into how to remove the radio to check the wiring in the back of the radio

Hang on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sounds great. Thanks!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/0b.pdf

I included self diag, and the Radio Terminal Reference as well as the Amps terminal reference check for you. At the end is how you remove the unit.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have removed the radio and there doesn't appear to be any loose or disconnected wires. I watched a video on youtube that said one of the biggest issues that causes the problem is things like coins getting lodged between the radio and the face plate. Im not sure if its a legit thing that happens but when i removed the radio, i did actually find coins stuck every where. When i plugged everything back in, no sound. But i have noticed a sight buzz/thud sound (almost like bass coming from the speakers) while changing the radio stations, which never happened before. Do you think I'm getting close? I only hear the noise when i turn the tuning dial to different stations.

The coin issue is mainly the Maxima.

If your are getting a Buzz then thud every time you turn the car off and back on the radio on, that sounds like it could be a shorted speaker. I would locate each speaker and unplug one at a time to see if sound returns.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician