Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan 86 will not start, had a problem getting it to start,

Customer Question
when it finally did start...
nissan 86 will not start, had a problem getting it to start, when it finally did start it drove ok, but seemed to want to stall when taking off in first gear, then driving down the road it died making a turn, it would not jump start then finally i pushed started it then 3 min later it died again, this time i tried to push start it with another vehicle pushing me and it wanted to start but it just seemed to gargle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/4/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Jonathan,

Sounds like a carburettor problem to me.

Does your have a sight glass on the front of the carb?

Fuel level should be on the dot, I'd say yours is flooding.

Gary

I have never looked for a sight glass, but I will today. What would be the reasoning for a carb to flood

If the carburettor is flooding uncontrolled, it could be a worn or dirty needle and seat, or a fuel logged (soaked) float.

The float is heavy and doesn't have the designed buoyancy to keep the level where it should be, hence a high level which could be a flooding condition.

It will also cause the vehicle to stall on turns.

Gary

I know how to follow directions and i am mechanically inclined and tend to figure out how to change a part once the problem is located, is the float something I can buy separate or do I need to purchase a rebuild kit.

Some carbs are easier than others.

I'll look up what carb you have, while you let me know what the carb fuel is in the float window.

I would also take the aircleaner lid off , and look down the throats of the carb, if they are dripping at any time etc, that is the flooding condition.

This might help:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/720-carburetor-reference-pics-t521844-30.html

If yours is this type, you can change the needle and seat and the float without taking the carb off.

I would buy a complete kit and a float.

Gary

reading one of those articles in the forums, my truck does idle high for a while but once i tap on the gas pedal it quickly reduces the idle and is normal.

That is normal operation of an electric automatic choke from cold start.

Does it run ok from cold start?

When does it start doing the condition you describe?

Are you quite certain the ignition components you have replaced are done correctly in the correct order etc?

Gary

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician