Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a question on BCM on GTR35
, B2196 B2609 appears

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question on BCM on GTR35
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: B2196 B2609 appears
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What year GTR is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 JDM
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean one of the codes is B2619?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The B2609 code is for the Steering lock system which most commonly is a steering lock control unit. This other code is not coming up as a good code, and thought maybe you mis-typed it. That is why I asked if you meant B2619

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's B2196
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The B2196 is a Nats system code. It's a command from the BCM that will keep the car from starting due to the communication with the Ecm. Since you have a Steering lock issue, and this code, you will need to start with replacing the steering lock control unit first. Then see if operation returns. If not, then you would be looking at a BCM or Ecm issue where advanced electrical diagnostics will need to be done with a advanced level scanner to see which or if both need to be replaced since they are both part of the NATs system.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The steering column was replaced last year, recently resurfaced with these codes.
Will replacement of BCM help? Or are these codes related to something else in the system?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The steering lock control unit works off signals sent by the BCM. It's going to require advanced electrical diagnostics to determine if the Bcm will need to be replaced, but it looks like the Steering Lock control unit.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how can we determine using Consult3 that the BCM is faulty?We've back tracked and was not really convinced that the recent Factory Audio Head Unit change has caused such issue.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The Radio can't cause this. This is a BCM or Steering lock control unit issue. The scanner would tell you if the requests are being sent and you would check signals with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we were to replace the BCM, how do we write the configuration when the Key FOB has yet been registered to the new BCM?
I would need the Key FOB to turn on the ignition so that we can write the saved configurations into the new BCM .
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The fobs are programmed first, the once the ignition comes on you can write the configuration to the bcm.

You try to save the original configuration if you can, other wise you would manually write the configuration

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hoe do I register the FOB into the new BCM without hooking it to the car? via Consult3?
I know that the current FOB is registered with the old BCM. The new one would have nothing to recognise this FOB.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can't. You need to have a scanner that can program keys to program the fobs to the car. That is the only way

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Understand.This issue has been a headache.
It went intermittent.Turn the car off, read the codes with consult3, erased the code, car starts up fine without issue.
Drove for months and back with the same problem code.what was common before the codes were meddling with the Audio Head Unit.That is why we thought it is related.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that maybe related between the two is the fuse box. That is really about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have also checked and found nothing unusual.
Relays and fuses were all in working condition.Do you think I should change the fuse box?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The more advanced diagnostics would determine that. It's hard to say from this end to exactly say. I have a direction on what to check on your car. But with out properly checking it, I can't say exactly what needs to be done. I mentioned that there is a BCM / Steering lock control unit issue. I would follow the steps to check both of those items with the scanner and which ever leads me to what to isolate the issue.