Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 nissian frontier wont downshift the problems doesnt…

Customer Question
2006 nissian frontier wont downshift...
2006 nissian frontier wont downshift the problems doesnt alway occur. I floor the gas pedal and the truck doesnt shift down.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/2/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Does the truck fine otherwise?

Problem started two weeks ago. I have had the transmission replaced already with the that pesky radiator issue. I have recently preformed a transmission flush and that didnt solve the issue. I have full speed on the freeway, no errors, nothing. Just no power when I try to accelerate on the freeway or try to pass another car. But the issues doesn't always occur because other times the truck is working fine. I took it to two different mechanics and they cant find any error codes. The mechanics have said without the an error code they cannot solve the problem. The transmission guy doesn't not think it is the transmission itself. The last step is to give it to Nissan and fork over the 120.00 diagnostic fee and let them keep the truck for a week.

Well, in all fairness I must admit its hard to try and diagnose a problem when the proble is not actually happening.

The torque converter lock/unlock function depends on a few things including TPS signals and solenoid and pressure readings.

Is this something that can be tested? The repair shops have hooked it up to their computers / code readers and get nothing. When I took it to the repair shop today he didnt get anything though the truck was not downshifting.

If the truck is NOT downshifting it SHOULD throw a code indeed, but it's not. You should get a TCC operation code or something or a shift function code.

The only thing you can do aside form that would be to communicate with the TCM and ECM while driving. Make sure the TCM is receiving the proper signals and check solenoid function. It wouldn't hurt to watch the revolution sensor readings from the shaft either.