Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We just had our Nissan Quest 04 in and had the ECM replaced,

Customer Question
We just had our...

We just had our Nissan Quest 04 in and had the ECM replaced, then two days latter when my wife tried to start it it would try to turn over but not succeed, she told me about an hour latter and I tried and it worked fine. The next day she reported it was not working again and that she even tried to jump it with our jump pack, but no go. When I came home I tried it and it would not start. I tried it about 5 times and then it finally started. I shut it off and let it sit for 10 min and tried again and it started right up. scratching my head on this one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That is all that comes to mind at present, anything specific you want to know?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/2/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

So the engine is cranking but it won't start when this is happening?
Was the ecm replaced to try and resolve this issue?

No, this is a new issue. The ECM was replaced for two reasons. We had a check engine light and when the tech would try to clear them they would immediately come back and at times the van was unable to accelerate but it was an intermittent problem. It seamed to clear when she would shut the car off and the restart it. This second problem I never witnessed but was reported by my wife on 4 occasions.

Ok, and it is in fact cranking just not starting?

it is cranking. Once it actually starts after several attempts it seams to start fine the rest of the day, it seams to only happen first time each day.

Ok,

Good information.

Is the check engine light on when it is running?

no

Ok

I think the place to start here is with a throttle relearn. You can do this manually but need to make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. The throttle may not be setting correctly on your first start of the day.

Here is the procedure, please try it and let me know.

Nissan Relearn
1 Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".
A Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
B Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
C Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
D Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
E Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
2 Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
B Turn ignition switches 'ON'.
Note Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
3 Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4 Turn ignition switches ‘OFF’ and waits at least 10 seconds.
5 Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.
6 Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
A Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
B Fully releases the accelerator pedal.
7 Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
8 Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
9 Start engine and let it idle.
10 Wait 20 seconds.
11 Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
12 If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, the result will be incomplete. In this case, more test needs to be done.

what are the specifications for the idle speed and ignition timing

Ignition timing is 15 btdc, you can only read that with a scan tool.

idle speed is roughly 700 rpms with the a/c off. +- 50 rpms

Hello again,

Do you need further assistance with this?

The problem ended up being that the new ECM did not get programmed for both keys. Once that was corrected the problem was gone

Thanks for the info, it's odd that it would only happen once a day with the same key. Honestly I have never seen that issue.