Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have an 03 Altima 3.5 replacing tesioner and water pump.

Customer Question
Chain came off. Need...
I have an 03 Altima 3.5 replacing tesioner and water pump. Chain came off. Need to get it back in line. All chains are now removed, crank has been spun half way and its hits the valves. Need to know how to get crank back to TDC
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thats all i have
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
1/27/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

To put the crank at TDC you want to have the Key way at 11 oclock. Then Bank 1 Cam should be at around 11 oclock as well, and Bank 2 at around 1 to 2 oclock. If you line up all the colored links on the chain to the timing marks on the sprockets, that is how you know your timing is correct.

This is a video how the timing chains are removed and installed and how to set the timing. Since you already have the front timing cover off, just fast forward to the part you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnW2NclDbi0

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/3.5%20timing%20chains%204.jpg

That link shows where all the timing marks should be located so the colored links on the chain could line up to them.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jay. This u tube is informative but does not address my specific issue. My crank is turned 180 off 12 oclock. From 3 oclock to 6 oclock it turns freely. But binds up everywhere else. I need to know how to get it back to 12 oclock. All chains are off. And everything has moved.

What is causing it to bind is the pistons are hitting the valves. So what you need to do to work it's way back around to 12 or 11 oclock is to turn the cams to allow the bottom end to turn. Once the bottom end is in position, then you can try to turn the cams back.

One you turn the bottom end and feel the resistance, back it up a little, turn the bank 1 cam leaving the chain hooked up of course for the Bank 1 intake and exhaust cam to turn both at the same time. Turn it 1/2 a turn. Same with Bank 2

You don't have the Cam Chains off do you? Only the Primary chain right?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All chains are off

Then you need to start with getting the upper cam chains on if you can, other wise, you would need to turn each cam individually to allow the crank into the proper position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i will install the upper chains...so just to be clear...I bind up on the crank at the 6 oclock position (pin) going clock wise. Back that off a bit, then turn each bank 1/2 turn...then try to turn crank ??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This should allow the crank to pass? then when I bind again, i do the same? 1/2 turn on the banks?

Yes, That is how you would get the crank into position. If you feel resistance, you need to turn a cam so it can move the valves that the piston is hitting so you can put the crank in the correct position.

I works better if you have the upper chains on. Other wise, you would need to turn each cam. If you have the valve covers off the cams have a spot to put a wrench so you can manually turn them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I will try tomorow and advise how it worked out.

You got it

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a specific starting point for each back? With my crank binding in that position ?

You want to have them close to the tdc mark and just turn them 1/2 a rotation or so to allow the crank to it's TDC point, then turn the cams back to tdc

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I put both upper chains back on. Did exactly what you instructed with same results. Even started turning the banks on 1/4 turn increments too. I still bind up when the crank pin reaches 6 o'clock. What am I doing wrong?

If you can't turn the cams to allow the bottom end to turn to TDC, then all 4 cams will need to be unbolted so the tension can be taken off the valves so they can close so you can turn the engine.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The cams turn. I starting at tdc on both banks. I turn the crank till it binds up. Then I turn both cam banks 1/2 turn. I try the crank but it still hits. I repeat this process and the cam banks eventually spin all the way back around. Never allowing the crank to pass the 6 oclock position.

If you can't get the cam's to allow the crank to the proper position, then you have to unbolt the cams to allow the valves to close so the crank can be turned to TDC. Once the crank is on TDC, then bolt down the cam's and set them at TDC as well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do the upper chains need to come off to do this? After I get the valve covers off and can see which valves are open would it be possible to try the turn method again? Or is it common to have valves remaining open causing my issue?

The upper cams would need to be fully unbolted to allow the valves to close to get the bottom end of the engine in time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have both valve covers off and can see all the lobes. I have turned both banks so that no valves are open. I can also see inside the intake manifold at the intake valves which are all visually closed. It does not look as though any valves are down. Could there be something else possible obstructing the crank from spinning. I have the transmission in neutral and the front tire spins freely. I am hesitant to remove all the cams as it appears that all valves are closed.

If the cams are bolted down, There is pressure on some of the valves to push them open.

Is this getting a little more difficult for you? The Cam Sprockets will need to be removed and top front cam caps. There is re-torquing required for the cam caps.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician