Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I am having a problem with my 2003…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I am having a problem with my 2003 Altima. My left side low beam went out. I changed the bulb. It still didn't work so I changed it again. It still did

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It still didn't work. I checked the fuses and that fuse was blown. I changed the fuse, with the correct fuse, and it blew as soon as I turn my headlights on. How do I fix this?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/25/2016
Nissan Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

hello my name is ***** ***** the fuse keeps blowing you have an exposed wire in the headlight harness causing a short that blows the fuse

Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Do you have standard headlamps or HID lights?

I guess they are just standard.

Thanks, ***** ***** simplify things then as there is no Ballast integrated into the unit.

The reason the fuse is blowing is because the amperage draw is too high on the circuit for that headlight, you need to find the short (which is 8 out of 10 times the headlight socket itself)

A good place to start would be remove the low beam lamp and get an electrical parts cleaner and clean the bulb connecter and dry it out with shop air.

Replace the fuse and then put the bulb back in. If the fuse blows when you put the bulb back in you can try swapping just the bulb and see if it fixes it, but more than likely it will be the bulb connector that needs replaced.

If you need anything else let me know, if not be sure to leave a kind rating.

I fixed it. The problem was the ground was loose.

Good deal, thanks for the follow up.

if you need anything else let me know.

thanks