Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Nissan tech only 2013 nissan juke, Engine is not running, I

Customer Question

nissan tech only2013 nissan juke ,Engine is not running, I checked the spark plugs , found no spark at the spark plugswhat could be wrong how to diagnois
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** ii can help

Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

is the service engine soon light on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine it is not running, and there is no codes
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, sorry it looks like Clif stepped out.

If you have no spark on these engines there is generally only 2 "common" causes. By far the MOST common thing for a no spark issue is the cam sensor. It's located on the cylinder head just below the oil cap and secured by a 10mm bolt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyway to check it is bad or not , will the scanner show the reading of it when the engine is running
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

You need a lab scope to see if your getting a reference signal when cranking the engine and see if the reference it consistantly the right voltage by looking at the wave.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

The sensor runs about $75 at the dealer if you just want to replace it, or you can pay a diagnostic fee which runs about $90.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the other comment failure
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

not sure what your talking about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you mentioned (2 "common" causes) one is the cam shaft what is the other one
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

WITH NO CODES, the other issue we see on these engines specifically is timing chain issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the cam shaft sensor and there is no difference ,
if the timing is missed up will the engine loose ignition spark , is there any other sensor on the timing chain
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Crankshaft sensor back of the block near the oil pan, but I don't see them fail often and when they do the engine will still start just be in limp mode and not let you rev it very high.

I know you said you don't have any codes, but is there other details your keeping from me? Does the condensor fan come on with ignition in ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can read engine speed in my scanner while cracking , so I think the crank shaft sensor is okfan comes on sometimes , specially after I lose the battary charge and recharge the battary then turn ingnition on
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

The condesor fan is a control unit failure fail safe function.

Whats the history behind this vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the engine, I used to have spark and fuel before replacing the engine, now there is no spark
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

ahhh probably have the flywheel alignment off then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to check this aligment
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Should be a notch at the flywheel and a dowel pin hole to align. The dowel pin hole should be the one that looks like a square inside the hole.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

but now that I recall you said you pick up an RPM signal when cranking.

I am starting to believe this might be a little more difficult than most issues that can be resolve over the net and require a more hands on approach. Knowing the extent of the motor replacement now really expands the posibilities for errors and the engine is going to have to be looked over thoroughly.