Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I own a 2004 J31. On very light acceleration I can hear a…

Customer Question
I own a 2004 J31...
I own a 2004 J31. On very light acceleration I can hear a pinging noise between 1st and 2nd gear changes and also on the highway in cruise control at 100 km/p/h at around 1900 to 2100 RPM. This pinging seems to come on when the car has been driven around for more than an hour and on hot days a lot sooner and louder. Could you please help me out with this problem? Thanking you kindly Terry
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my names is Jay and thank you for your question.

How many miles do you have on the car and what brand spark plugs do you have installed? Do you know?

95 to 98 Octane is Racing fuel. The most I have seen is 93 octane. Also do you get gas at the same station all the time?

Hi Jay, The car has 220,000 km. My mechanic has recently change the spark plugs but I don't know what they are and the unleaded fuel that we have in Australia is 91 which is e10 95 which is premium and 98 which is high octane and we don't have 93 octane.

Ok.. Well first thing you need to do is find out what brand spark plugs were installed. These engines only like NGK spark plugs. If any other plug has been used, it can certainly cause this.

Also do get gas at the same station all the time?

Ill have to ask my mechanic about the plugs. Could the KNOCK SENSOR have anything to with the pinging. Also I asked the Nissan dealers service mechanics and he said that this model Maxima and the Murano both have this problem and that he didnt know why. Jay are you in Australia or USA?

I am in the USA and very familiar with octane ping. Knock Sensors are designed to advance and retard the ignition timing to help prevent Octane ping. You may want to see if you have a code for it. But if you don't have NGK spark plugs installed, that will certainly cause this as well as causing the engine to run ruff. The worse plug you could have installed is Bosch. Bosch plugs are the worst plugs for these cars. You need to stick with the factory NGKs and then scan the car to see if there is a knock sensor code stored. If you have a knock sensor code stored, you are going to want to replace that.

If you get gas at the same station all the time, I would recommend you try getting gas from a different station and see if that helps as well.

Do you have any more questions on this?

I get my gas at different gas stations, usually BP, SHELL and MOBIL. Ill ask my mechanic on Monday about plugs, BUT can I still chat with you online or not?

Sure.. You can continue to ask any more questions you have on this topic, even after you rate me. Follow up questions are no extra charge. You only need to return back to this question. To return back all you need to do is log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions.

Your user name and password ***** have been emailed to you.

Thanks Jay!

OK Jay, Ill get back to you on Monday about the spark plug brand.

You got it!

Were you able to find out the brand spark plugs?

Hi Jay thanks for calling back I spoke to my mechanic and he said that the original plugs that came out of the car were NGK and he replaced the old ones with new NGK plugs as well.

ok. good, these engines were designed to use NGK's. The only other thing I can think of is if the knock sensor is bad. That will advance and retard the timing to eliminate octane ping. The knock sensor will not throw a Service Engine Soon light. But you will need to see if there is a code stored for it. If there is, then that will need to be replaced.

If there isn't, then I would look at the timing to see if something is off with that causing the octane ping.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician